- Rent a car and drive around Johannesburg to do what it is that you want to do. The roads and signage are both excellent.
- Though it’s firmly on the beaten path, there’s a reason why Kruger National Park is so popular. You can join a tour to go see it, or you can rent a car on your own, take the 3-4 hour drive yourself, and explore the park on your terms.
- Not long ago, the inner city was not a place that tourists went, but parts have gone through a revitalization, so be sure to check out the following:
- The Market Theater area for live music and bars
- The university area of Braamfontein has an awesome Saturday market and a great night life.
- Head to Fordsburg for some Indian and Pakistani food and markets.
- Check out the Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens…if you can find them.
Why you should add Johannesburg to your RTW travel list
- Jo’burg is a thriving mixture of music, theatre and people selling anything you can imagine
- Find vibrant, growing city with a dynamic downtown street culture
- Visit the Kruger Nat Park
- Head out on The Table Mountain Cableway
- See Nelson Mandela’s Robben Island
Why you should not add Johannesburg to your RTW travel list
- It can still be dangerous in certain areas, so you have to keep your wits about you.
- It’s one of the most expensive areas of the country and more difficult to do on a budget.
- It can be expensive to get to.
OverviewKnown by many as Jo'burg, this is said to be one of the most dangerous places in the world. With both poverty and massive wealth living side by side, it's smart to take precautions but don't let paranoia get the better of you. Considered harder working than its coastal competitor, Cape Town, Jo'burg is an economic powerhouse.
For more on Johannesburg, check out WhyGo's Johannesburg Travel Guide.