Author: Jill

Moscow, Russia – Transport


From the Airport
Most international flights arrive at Shermetyevo-2 airport. If you’ve booked accommodation, they might arrange to pick you up – confirm this and make sure you have their phone number!

On your own? The very best bet is to call Taxi Blues at +7 095 128 5957 /9477 /7763. Give them your flight details (they speak English). When you exit customs, look for your name on a sign to find your taxi driver. Their taxis don’t have signs (to avoid trouble from the taxi mafia). A ride to anywhere in Moscow will cost you on average US$15 – they’ll tell you on the phone – and you can use US$ to pay (just don’t tell.)

A bare bones budget option does exist, however, it takes a really long time to get into the city this way. Exit the airport and walk straight ahead past the parking lot. You’ll see green or white minivans/buses. Confirm that they’re going to the metro. Pay the price posted behind the driver – if you have no rubles you could probably give him US$1 or 2. The bus will go to a northern metro stop (about 20-30 mins away), on the metro you can go anywhere in Moscow for three rubles (usually there will be a place outside where you can change money.)

Trains and the Metro


Metro mosaic

One of the mosaics that line Kievskaya metro station


Trains from St. Petersburg ($6 to $12) and Helsinki ($65) arrive and depart from Leningradski Vokzal, M. Komsomolskaya. G&R International will pick you up at the station if you’ve booked accommodation with them, otherwise it’s pretty easy to just jump on the metro.

Ah, nothing beats the metro. It’s fast, cheap, efficient, and, in the centre, it’s incredibly beautiful.


Moscow Metro map

Moscow metro plan


There are nine lines that run North-South or East-West. The brown circle line connects all the metro lines, and the six train stations. Some of the metro stations can seem really chaotic, especially if you’re trying to change lines. Look for a walking person sign to find the change tunnels, sometimes you have to go up, then back down again. Always give yourself lots of time to get to your destination. For really detailed information on this, check out the Moscow: The Rough Guide, published by Penguin.

If you’re planning to spend a lot of time in Moscow, taking buses, trams, trolleys, and so on, you’d best invest in a city transit map ($2). The book tables on the Arbat always have the maps, which show very transit route known, and buildings too!

Taxis


Traffic

Heavy weekend traffic


The taxi system can’t be beat. Stand at the side of the street, extend your right arm at a 45-degree angle with the palm out. Within seconds, one or more cars will stop in front of you. Tell them where you’re going and how much you’ll pay ($2 to $3 for up to a 30 min. ride).

Of course, most of the cars that’ll pick you up aren’t taxis at all, just guys driving around, trying to make an extra ruble. I really recommend this system if you’re coming home late. Much better to take your chances with one taxi guy than hanging around a creepy metro or bus stop.