Author: Lisa Tossey

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – June 2000

Events in June
Elfreth’s Alley Days
First weekend in June
Elfreth’s Alley is the oldest continuously inhabited street in the U.S. This celebration includes tours of the homes along this street, as well as colonial crafts and entertainment.

Mellon Jazz Festival
June 13 – June 18
This festival is in it’s 15th year, and is dedicated this year to Sun Ra – a tribute to the local talent that hailed from the Germantown section of Philadelphia. Call (610) 667-3559 for ticket info.

4th Annual Ride for Hope
June 17
A non-competitive one day bicycle ride that acts as a fundraiser to support HIV/AIDS service programs in the community. You may choose 8, 25, 50 or 100 mile routes. For info call Steve Arch at (215) 563-0652 x222.

“Wall Power” – Mural and Graffiti Art
Through July 30
An exhibit that showcases mural and graffiti artists from Philadelphia, New York and San Francisco. At the ICA – 118 S. 36th Street. The Mural Arts Program is also offering mural trolley tours of Philadelphia for $10. For schedule and reservation information call (215) 568-5245.

For more info on Philadelphia’s murals – Click Here

Peoplewatching
Historic Building
In my opinion, the best place to see some truly unusual sights is South Street.  Running from the Delaware River to the Schuykill River, South Street has an eclectic feel, and is often compared to New York’s Greenwich Village.  There are many great restaurants, bars, coffee shops and boutiques to explore – particularly between Front Street and 8th Street.

Some great spots to take in the sights and sounds of South Street:

Bridget Foy’s – A good, moderately priced restaurant on the corner of 2nd Street.

John’s Bar & Grille – Lots of outdoor seating, and rumored to be on the site of the birthplace of Larry Fine of the Three Stooges.  On the corner of 3rd Street – look for the big Stooges mural!

Bean Cafe, The Frite Shop or Montserrat – Good coffee, Belgian Frites, or American and Vegetarian fare respectively.  All 3 are between 6th and 7th streets on South, and offer outside or street-side seating.

Different Things To Do
In Philly on a beautiful weekday?
Head over to City Hall (Market & Broad Streets), the largest municipal building in the world, with 14.5 acres of floor space.  Try to find your way up to the Observation Deck. Look for red arrows on the floor, which help you to find your way – Basically take the elevator to the 7th floor, an escalator up 2 more flights, then another elevator up the 30 story tower to the base of the Penn statue on top.  The trip is worth it, for the incredible panoramic views of the city.

In town on a Wednesday night?
Head over to the Philadelphia Museum of Art for a night of film, music, readings, tastings and talks.  Subjects change weekly, and admission is inexpensive ($8 adults, $5 students).  Usually runs from 5pm through 8:45pm.

Do what Oprah did!

Take the ultimate Philly cheesesteak challenge:  Pat’s versus Geno’s.  Find these two cheesesteak vendors (and infamous rivals) on South 9th street, just south of the shops and vendors of the Italian Market District.  Ask any local – they’ll be able to point you there!  Enjoy!


Geography
Philly is located on the Eastern Coast of the US, a short distance from Washington D.C., New York City and Atlantic City, NJ.

Accommodations
A wide variety of hotels at all price ranges may be found in Center City.  I am myself a B&B lover, especially in such a historical city, so here are a few to choose from:

Bed & Breakfasts

  • Gaskill House
    Old City, a private residence since 1828 w/a private city garden.  (215)413-0669

  • Rittenhouse B&B
    A beautiful European-style B&B centrally located. (215)545-1755

  • Ten Eleven Clinton B&B
    The highest rated B&B in Philly (AAA 3-diamond).  An all suite B&B, with many amenities in a townhouse dated to 1836. (215)923-8144

  • Spring Garden Manor
    In the Art Museum district, featuring artwork by local artists.  Rooms have private baths. (215)567-2484

    Transport
    Airport
    The cheapest method of transportation between Philadelphia International Airport and Center City is the SEPTA Train.  The train picks up from all terminals, and runs to 3 Center City stations :
    30th Street Station (N 30th St. between Market and Arch Sts.)
    Suburban Station (JFK Blvd. between N 16th and 17th Sts.), and

    Market East Station (N 11th and Market St.).

    A one way ticket costs $5, and trains run every 30 minutes from 6:10am to 12:10am.  The ride takes 20-30 minutes. Most areas of the city are accessible from these stations by bus, subway or cab.

    Cab fare from the airport to most Center City locations runs about $20, and the ride can take 15-30 minutes, depending on traffic.

    Train
    30th Street Station is the main Amtrak station, with service to and from most major Eastern U.S. cities.

    Money
    US currency is standard.
    Per diem costs can range from $50 and up, depending on your tastes!

    Weird Facts
    In 1776 Philadelphia’s population was approximated at only 23,700.

    The statue of William Penn atop City Hall weighs 27 tons and stands 37 feet tall – it is the largest sculpture at the top of any building in the world.

    The Author
    I am not a native Philadelphian by any means…however I have lived here now for over a year, and have come to appreciate all it has to offer!

    Other Philly Links
    Citysearch Philadelphia