Author: David Savage

The Road to Becoming OZ Experienced – Sydney from Canberra


Photojournalist David Savage travels Australia on the OZ Experience

On The Bus…
My final day on the OZ Experience. Seven and a half weeks earlier I had left Sydney heading north on the first leg of my journey. Although Canberra is only three hours from Sydney, today’s leg took us along the coastline that was first explored by Captain Cook.

Our first stop was at a place called Pebbly Beach just north of Batemans Bay. Pebbly Beach is a nature reserve with lots of wild animals that are very friendly. Our driver, Luke, had bought a bag of birdseed earlier and handed it around once we were off the bus. Soon enough there was a flurry of colour as different types of parrots flocked in for a feed. These birds are not shy and will land where they like, on your hand or on your head. A little further towards the beach we were greeted by a couple of dozen kangaroos. All of them wild and again none of them shy, you can even stroke them. There is also the opportunity to get close to kookaburras and iguanas if they’re around.

Our last stop before hitting Sydney was Kiama, famous for its blowhole that can shoot sixty metres into the air when the surf is big. The day we visited the surf was non existent and the blowhole couldn’t even manage a little spit. However, I have been here when the blowhole has been performing and it’s pretty impressive… for about five minutes, then you get bored.

On the way into Sydney we passed Botany Bay. This is where Captain Cook first landed in Australia. Deciding he didn’t like the area, he later brought his anchor up to sail a little further up the coast to what is now known as Sydney Harbour. Wise move really as Sydney Harbour is much deeper and is better for shipping.

Sydney
Sydney needs little introducing to the world. It has to be one of the most impressive and beautiful cities on the planet. Before you have even arrived you have probably seen the city’s famous sights through the media, the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Bondi Beach, Centre Point, Darling Harbour, and Manly Beach to name a few.

Sydney is also the preferred city for backpackers to find work. The best times to do so are from April through to October. From October onwards comes a mass influx of backpackers and all of a sudden there are no jobs left.

The most popular places to find accommodation for backpackers are Bondi Beach, Coogee Beach and Manly Beach. Cheaper places can be found in the suburbs. I can recommend Newtown, Glebe and Balmain as being pretty central and safe places to live with lots of stuff going on.

There is a lot to do in Sydney and your money will burn out quickly so don’t get trapped there. For just over one hundred dollars you can even climb the Harbour Bridge, although I think it’s a bloody rip-off – Go climbing in the Blue Mountains instead. A visit to the Opera House to see a performance is well worth doing, the sound is amazing and you’ll leave feeling well cultured. Sailing in the Harbour is pretty easy to do. Don’t bother paying for the privilege, just rock up at a sailing club on a Saturday and ask around the yachts to see who needs crew. Experience is not necessary, so don’t be shy just ask about, someone always needs crew.

From Sydney there are a number of places well worth exploring. Two hours away by train are the Blue Mountains. I spent loads of time there as there are many really good bush walks as well as climbing, canyoning and mountain biking. South of Sydney is the Royal National Park, which offers outstanding coastal hiking and great places to camp. North of Sydney is the Ku-rang-gai National Park and Pittwater. This series of inland river systems that flow to the sea also offer great hiking and camping and, being so close to Sydney, offer a great weekend escape.

Entertainment wise, Sydney has all kinds of clubs and pubs. If you want wild dirty nights go to Scruffy Murphy’s in China Town. If you want a polished clubby type place go to Home at Darling Harbour. If you want underground dance then check out the local record shops to find out what is on and where. The big cinema’s are located in China Town along with a bucket load of Internet Café’s. Shopping in Sydney can be found all over but check out Pitt Street, George Street and Oxford Street.

Probably your best bet when arriving in Sydney, apart from researching the place using BootsnAll, is to pick a copy of TNT Magazine. This magazine is written especially for backpackers and will give you the low down on everything you’ll need to know whilst in Australia.

Sydney is a class city, if you stay there for a while, don’t sit home at weekends, get out there and enjoy!