Author: Lisa Tossey

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – July 2000


Welcome to Philadelphia – City of Brotherly Love
For those of you that have not visited Philly recently, you’re in for a pleasant surprise. The last few years have brought an infusion of the arts into the city.  Philadelphia offers a wealth of choices in galleries, theatrical and musical productions and museums.  These attractions, combined with the many historical highlights of the city can keep one occupied for days.

Independence Hall
Philadelphia is a wonderful walking city.  The majority of historical attractions may be found within the few blocks surrounding Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.  From here, one may stroll to the galleries of Old City, Penn’s Landing on the Delaware River, South Street and its eclectic shops and restaurants, or the wonderful food stands and shops of the Italian Market.  Since Philly is still largely residential, it is also enjoyable to view some of the beautiful historic homes around the city, as you trek to your destination.

Happy 4th of July!
Philadelphia is the birthplace of our country’s independence, and fittingly hosts one of the best Independence Day celebrations in the United States.  Festivities last throughout the month.

June 30: Two Cities Two States Fireworks Extravaganza
At Penn’s Landing.
Begins at 7:30pm with the music of the Elgins and the Blue Notes, followed by fireworks over the Delaware River at 9:30 p.m.

July 1: Fort Mifflin Freedom Blast
At Fort Mifflin (behind Philadelphia International Airport, on Fort Mifflin Road, off of Island Ave.)
Features a reenactment of a British Naval attack on the historical fort. Also: Colonial crafts, cannon and musket demonstrations, music and dancing.  From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.  For info call: (215)492-1881

July 1-2: All You Can Eat Ice Cream Festival
At Penn’s Landing.
$5 per person – benefits pediatric leukemia.  For info call (215)922-2386.

July 3 – 4: 1900, An Historic Celebration
Rittenhouse Square (18th & Walnut Streets).
A Victorian picnic in the park featuring children’s activities, music, Victorian dancers, horse and carriage rides, games, crafts and food.  Also a speech by "President William McKinley."  From 5-9 p.m.

July 4: Independence Day Ceremony and Liberty Medal Award
At Independence Hall (between 5th & 6th streets on Chestnut Street).
A reading of the Declaration of Independence and presentation of the annual Liberty Medal.  10 a.m.

July 4: Let Freedom Ring
Featuring the ceremonial tapping of the Liberty Bell at Independence Square (on the south side of Independence Hall).  1:30 p.m.

July 4: Philadelphia, The Place That Loves You Back Parade
On Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
Features marching bands, floats, fife-and-drum corps from surrounding counties.  Starts at 6:30 p.m.

July 4: Sweet Sounds of Liberty Concert and Fireworks Spectacular
On Benjamin Franklin Parkway.
Concert by Earth, Wind & Fire at 8:30 p.m., followed by fireworks at 10:30 p.m.

July 30: Lighted Boat Parade and Fireworks
Penn’s Landing on the Delaware River.
A parade of fifty-five boats decorated with more than 1.5 million lights, followed by fireworks. Starts at 9 p.m.

A Bit of History -Independence Hall

Independence Hall is often referred to as the "birthplace of American government" for its historical role in the drafting of both the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution.

Independence Hall was originally planned as a State House by Andrew Hamilton and Edmund Wooley in 1729.  At that time the land was situated on the outskirts of Philadelphia and the building was to serve as headquarters of the Pennsylvania colony.  Work on the structure was completed in 1748.  Less than 30 years later Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, John Hancock and other representatives from the 13 colonies gathered to debate the Declaration of Independence.

They approved it on July 4, 1776 and signed it one month later.  The first public reading of the Declaration took place in Independence Square, a small shady park that can be found behind the Hall.

In 1787 the Second Continental Congress met in the Hall’s Assembly Room for its Constitutional Convention, during which they produced the document that became the U.S. Constitution.  The Assembly Room also served as a viewing area for over 85,000 people who came to pay respect to slain president Abraham Lincoln on April 22, 1865.

Independence Hall is located on Chestnut Street between 5th and 6th Streets.  Free guided tours are given by the National Park Service every 15 minutes. The tours last around 25 minutes, and are the only way to see the interior of the building.  Avoid the peak hours of 10 am to 2 p.m.  Other points of interest immediately surrounding the Hall:  Liberty Bell Pavilion, Congress Hall, Old City Hall, Philosophical Hall, Library Hall and the Second Bank of the United States.

Different Things To Do
In Philly on a beautiful weekday?
Head over to City Hall (Market & Broad Streets), the largest municipal building in the world, with 14.5 acres of floor space.  Try to find your way up to the Observation Deck. Look for red arrows on the floor, which help you to find your way – Basically take the elevator to the 7th floor, an escalator up 2 more flights, then another elevator up the 30 story tower to the base of the Penn statue on top.  The trip is worth it, for the incredible panoramic views of the city.

In town on a Wednesday night?
Head over to the Philadelphia Museum of Art for a night of film, music, readings, tastings and talks.  Subjects change weekly, and admission is inexpensive ($8 adults, $5 students).  Usually runs from 5pm through 8:45pm.

Do what Oprah did!

Take the ultimate Philly cheesesteak challenge:  Pat’s versus Geno’s.  Find these two cheesesteak vendors (and infamous rivals) on South 9th street, just south of the shops and vendors of the Italian Market District.  Ask any local – they’ll be able to point you there!  Enjoy!


Geography
Philly is located on the Eastern Coast of the US, a short distance from Washington D.C., New York City and Atlantic City, NJ.

Accommodations
A wide variety of hotels at all price ranges may be found in Center City.  I am myself a B&B lover, especially in such a historical city, so here are a few to choose from:

Bed & Breakfasts

  • Gaskill House
    Old City, a private residence since 1828 w/a private city garden.  (215)413-0669

  • Rittenhouse B&B
    A beautiful European-style B&B centrally located. (215)545-1755

  • Ten Eleven Clinton B&B
    The highest rated B&B in Philly (AAA 3-diamond).  An all suite B&B, with many amenities in a townhouse dated to 1836. (215)923-8144

  • Spring Garden Manor
    In the Art Museum district, featuring artwork by local artists.  Rooms have private baths. (215)567-2484

    Transport
    Airport
    The cheapest method of transportation between Philadelphia International Airport and Center City is the SEPTA Train.  The train picks up from all terminals, and runs to 3 Center City stations :
    30th Street Station (N 30th St. between Market and Arch Sts.)
    Suburban Station (JFK Blvd. between N 16th and 17th Sts.), and

    Market East Station (N 11th and Market St.).

    A one way ticket costs $5, and trains run every 30 minutes from 6:10am to 12:10am.  The ride takes 20-30 minutes. Most areas of the city are accessible from these stations by bus, subway or cab.

    Cab fare from the airport to most Center City locations runs about $20, and the ride can take 15-30 minutes, depending on traffic.

    Train
    30th Street Station is the main Amtrak station, with service to and from most major Eastern U.S. cities.

    Money
    US currency is standard.
    Per diem costs can range from $50 and up, depending on your tastes!

    Weird Facts
    The term "United States of America" was used for the first time on July 6, 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was published in Philadelphia’s Pennsylvania Evening Post.

    Philadelphia’s first corrupt politician was William Penn’s cousin, Col. William Markham. Markham served as Penn’s deputy governor from 1693 to 1699.  During this time he offered a safe haven to pirates (including Captain Kidd) for the sum of 100 British pounds per crew member.

    The Author
    I am not a native Philadelphian by any means…however I have lived here now for over a year, and have come to appreciate all it has to offer!

    Other Philly Links
    Citysearch Philadelphia