Author: Henry Becker and Tracy Martin

PlanetRovers – Gear Planning


Gear Planning
Figuring out what to bring on a trip around the world was definitely a challenge. For us, the problem wasn’t just what to bring, but where to buy it inexpensively. Beginning in October of 1999, we started paying off debt then started a tight budget and began saving money. So when the time came to start acquiring gear, we had some difficulty adjusting from “save” mode to “spend” mode. Yes, yes – it’s for the trip, but when you’re constantly pinching pennies to save and save, spending doesn’t come easy.

Our biggest tip for those that live in the United States, consider ordering from Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC), essentially the Canadian version of REI. With the exchange rate, their prices are better than anything you can find here. (They do charge a nominal $5CAN membership fee.)

A word of caution: because the merchandise is crossing country borders, it is subject to duty. Any items that are made in North America are exempt (thanks to NAFTA), but if it comes from anywhere else (Southeast Asian countries, China, Japan), you will likely incur additional customs fees that could be hefty.

Our first major purchase was backpacks. We wanted to get quality packs that were affordable and not too technical. We read TONS of reviews written by travelers and outdoor adventurers on sites like Outdoor Review, Mountain Zone, and Gear Review. We scoured the Internet shops for price information: REI, EMS, and Campmor.

Armed with all of this information, we went to REI and EMS and tried some on. We settled on the Arc’Teryx Bora 80 for both of us. We found the pack comfortable and not too busy (although we’ll only really find out how much we like it once we get on the road). The only problem? REI wanted around $340 a pop. That’s when we decided to check out MEC. Their price, in Canadian currency, was the same. With the conversion rate, we ended up only spending $225 for each pack. Since buying the packs, we have also decided to buy pack covers from MEC as well. Not only will it protect the pack from rain, but we’re hoping it keeps the straps from being mutilated by the airline cargo handlers.

We debated on buying a water purifier/filter. Buying bottled water everyday will quickly become expensive. The filter should produce 400 liters of water – at a cost of roughly $0.15 per liter. There will certainly be places where we will not have easy access to clean water (Southeast Asia, Nepal, India). We figure that having the filter will enable us to make sure that the water we’re drinking is clean no matter where we are.

The next challenge was to determine which brand and type to buy. Initially, we had decided to go with the Pur Scout – a purifier. However, when we went to order it, we discovered that they were backordered due to some problems with the carbon filter not performing properly. In talking with the extremely helpful customer service rep at MEC, we decided to buy a filter and supplement it with purification treatment. It actually turns out to be significantly cheaper but still serves the same purpose. We bought a Pur Hiker and some Pristine drops from MEC. (The Pristine does the same thing as iodine supposedly without the nasty taste. We’ll let you know how it works out.)

The camera was also a tough buy. We debated heavily between digital and conventional 35mm. In the end, we bought a 35mm Olympus Epic Zoom series camera. We were attracted to the digital camera but we both felt that it wasn’t worth the added cost on our already tight budget. The Olympus fits easily in the hand (or the pocket) and has a water resistant cover that slides over the lens. And we only paid $249.

Our last big purchase was a handheld computer (PDA). We wanted something that could keep track of all our expenses and that would allow us to take all of the information that we had compiled. Initially, we looked at buying a PDA that ran Windows CE. Upon further research and after playing with a few, we decided to shift our focus to the Palm platform because the Windows CE devices seemed to run very slowly and require rechargable batteries (an additional expense – a recharger and converters/adapters for every country). We first looked at the Palm IIIxe for its convenience, speed, RAM size, and lower price. Then, we discovered that the Handspring Visor Deluxe offers the same features as the Palm IIIxe but also has the expansion capabilities offered by the Springboard. The best thing about it – you can buy a backup module that fits in the Springboard slot. If something does happen and our data is lost, we can restore without having to sync with our computer (which is good because we’re not taking that with us).

We found some great shareware for multiple currency fund tracking, MAM Easy, and iSilo, a document converter/reader that will convert HTML files into a Palm-readable format. We’re also loading a few games and Pocket Quicken (to actually keep track of all of our bank accounts).

Insect repellant was another item that we investigated thoroughly. After reading so many travelogues and warnings about malaria prevention, we knew that we needed a DEET-based product to supplement the malaria pills. The June issue of Consumer Reports has a good comparison and rating of products. According to their study, the 3M Ultrathon is the most effective. Unfortunately, as is the case with most quality products, it carries a heavy price tag – $8.00 for 2 ounces plus shipping. Ultrathon is available on the Internet at www.travmed.com.

The Sawyer repellent tested almost as well, but doesn’t last as long. It’s encapsulated in a protein that releases DEET on a time release keeping the skin exposure to the DEET low. The price? $5.00 for 4 ounces at our local CVS pharmacy. Given the significant cost difference and because we’ll be in malarial zones during the “low” season, we decided on the Sawyer.