Author: Henry Becker and Tracy Martin

PlanetRovers – Insurance


Insurance
Lots of people have asked us what we’re going to do about insurance. Since we’re both leaving our jobs, we want to be covered in case something does happen. We also want to be protected if any of our things get stolen. We’ve read entirely too many stories of people who have had their entire packs stolen, in spite of their efforts to keep them safe.

It seems that most RTW travelers agree, the TIA plan is the most comprehensive. We looked VERY extensively on the Internet for expatriate plans, travel insurance, short-term medical plans – none compares with TIA. Unfortunately, they no longer offer coverage for US citizens. Big bummer for us!

We ended up having to go with our second choice – Atlas Extra International Travel Insurance. This plan is less comprehensive than the TIA plan, but it’s also a bit less expensive. We decided to go for a bit of a higher deductible ($1000) in exchange for a bit of a lower premium. The medical coverage is pretty extensive, but there isn’t much additional travel-related insurance (lost luggage, passport, etc.).

Keep in mind, though, that most homeowner’s insurance covers travel-related losses (usually up to a certain percentage of your policy limit). Check the fine print on your policy to find out more.