Author: Helen Ho

Vancouver, Canada – August 2000


Myth: Vancouver, the rain city
In August, Vancouver is one of the best cities in North America for a vacation and traveling. With gorgeous sunshine and mild climate, it is so hard to resist this beauty.

Other than the popular skiing in winter, summer is the season when most people cram into this wonderful city, enjoying its surroundings without hardly any drop of rain. If you are lucky enough to come to Vancouver in August, then you will not only have a great time, you’ll also fall in love with this coastal city with unlimited sights and entertainments waiting for you to explore.

Irresistible Sunshine in Vancouver
In summer, Vancouver is blessed with vast starlights brought by celebrities. Don’t tear your heart out knowing that you’ve already missed No Doubt and the du Maurier Jazz Festival. You still have chances to see teen pop divas Christine Aguilera and Britney Spears, boy-trios Hanson, or even Our Lady Peace, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Byron Lee & The Dragonaires, Jackson Browne, Ben Harper, and Bo Diddley. Now you can calm your breath and get ready to go out and have fun.

Most concerts will take places at the GM Place, Commodore, BC Place, Orpheum, or Plaza or Nations. Check the Vancouver city maps or BC Transit maps to find out how to get there with public transits.

All the concerts tickets are available through TicketMaster, call 280-4444, or check out their website.

When and Where?

  • Hanson @ Orpheum, Aug. 1.
  • Summersault @ BC Place, Aug.4, feature Our Lady Peace, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, A Perfect Circle, The Catherine Wheel, Treble Charger, and Eve 6.
  • Steve Earle @ Commodore, Aug. 11.
  • Britney Spears @ GM Place, Aug. 12.
  • Rheostatics, Veda Hille @ Commodore, Aug. 17.
  • Byron Lee & The Dragonaires @ Commodore, Aug. 19.
  • Jackson Browne @ Orpheum, Aug. 22.
  • Ben Harper @ Plaza of Nations, Aug. 25.
  • Cheap Trick @ Commodore, Aug. 25.
  • Bo Diddley @ Commodore, Aug. 31.

    Music Festivals

    If you are not into Hanson or Britney Spears, but rather something such as opera, jazz, choral music, solo recitals, chamber ensembles, then you are at the right place and the right time.

    The Festival Vancouver with 17 days and more than 90 concerts of spectacular music is a must. In addition to that, is the Vancouver Early Music Programme & Festival, presented by Early Music and the University of British Columbia School of Music. Also the Vancouver Symphony’s exciting orchestral concerts throughout the month of August, is yet another music-lover’s way to go.

    You are too strong for soft music? No worries, because Stomp will be just right for you. It is an awesome experience for those who are adventurous.

    Events will take place in several different locations. For more detailed dates and information, please check their websites.

    Festival Vancouver July 28-August 13
    More than 90 concerts of opera, jazz world and choralmusic, solo recitals, chamber ensembles, and orchestralworks. Presented by the Vancouver Symphony, Canadian World Music Orchestra, CBC Vancouver Orchestra, St. Lawrence String Quartet, Penderecki String Quartet, Exaudi Chamber Choir, Brad Turner Quintet, Vancouver Cantata Singers, Vancouver Bach Choir, Vancouver Chamber Choir and Taipei Philharmonic Chamber Choir.

    Passes are sold through the Festival box office only: 604-221-0080. For info call: 221-0080.

    Vancouver Early Music Programme & Festival July 28-August 18
    This is a series of classes, workshops, and concerts focusing on music and dance of the medieval and baroque periods. Highlights are the sequenttia Ensemble of Mediaeval Music, the Rose Consort of Viols, Paul O’Dette, Camerata Trajectina, and the faculty of the Baroque Programme.

    The festival will take place in University of British Columbia. For info call: 604-732-1610, or e-mail staff@earlymusic.bc.ca.

    Vancouver Symphony Summer July 16-August 17
    Various events of orchestral concerts. Features in the month of August will be Art Garfunkel, conducted by Clyde Mitchell, August 16.

    Viva Espana, conducted by Clyde Mitchell, with guitarist Rachel Gauk, August 17.

    Tickets are available at TicketMaster, or call 684-9100.

    Stomp July 25-August 6 @ Vogue Theatre
    With previous overwhelming success in Vancouver, Stomp is back again with more hits and heat. Tickets are available at TicketMaster, or 871-9704.

    Glory of the Organ August 12 @ Holy Rosary Cathedral
    Yet another interesting concert in celebration of the 100th Anniversary of Holy Rosary Cathedral and its newly restored pipe organ. Call 682-6774, 280-3311.

    Arts

    Theatre
    Theatre art in Vancouver is something more than classy, it is something you just have to try for yourself, others opinion will not be a strong influence other than your own experience. In August, you are in time for numerous comedies, such as the annual Bard on the Beach with famous Shakespeare plays, Fallen Angels by Noel Coward, or long-time-favorite Tony’n’Tina’s Wedding. So see with your own eyes how theatre in Vancouver is a wonder other than its famous Nanaimo bars.

    Bard on the Beach

    Ongoing Tuesday-Sunday @ Vanier Park
    This year’s feature plays are three Shakespearean comedies: The Tempest, Henry IV Part One, and All’s Well that Ends Well. Call 739-7191.

    Fallen Angels

    Ongoing @ Metro Theatre
    Frivolous English comedy by Noel Coward. Call 266-7191 for more info on time and tickets.

    Vancouver Theatre Sports League

    Ongoing @ New Revue Stage, Granville Island
    Improvisational comedy based on audience suggestions. Call 687-1644.

    Tony’n’Tina’s Wedding

    Ongoing Thursday-Saturday @ St. Andrew-Wesley Church
    Hoarse Raven Theatre presents this Italian mock wedding, which has been playing a long time in Vancouver. Call 258-4079, 280-4444.

    Galleries
    Once again, if you are into galleries and museums, yearning to spend a hot sunny afternoon in peaceful galleries and museum for a day or two, I would suggest you search through the Vancouver papers when you arrive for more updated and current events. Here is a list of papers you can try:

    The Queue, published every Thursday with The Vancouver Sun, a great entertainment guide for the rest of the week.

    The Georgia Straight, published weekly, free. Can be obtained just about anywhere: restaurants, cafes, corner stores, road stands, bus stops…everywhere.

    The Vancouver Courier, published weekly, free. More concerned with news and current events in Vancouver west and east side. Again, can be obtain just about any places you are likely to be.

    Sports
    Simply Watching
    If you are the type of person who enjoys the fun and excitement of sports by observing, well, no worries. Vancouver is the place to be. Summer in Vancouver is the time when people get rid of their heavy ski boots and fleece, and go out doing whichever around Vancouver, if not, around Lower Mainland.

    Most popular sports and activities are running, biking, off-road racing, road racing, BMX, hiking, triathlons/biathlons, paddle sports, orienteering, and adventure racing/relay. There are so many competitions and events that you will never get bored, unless it rains, which is not likely in August. So pack lots sun lotion, sunglasses, a foldable chair, and off you go!

    BC Lions Football @ BC Place
    Games are throughout the summer, check their website for more detailed schedule and tickets.

    Go For a Run Around Vancouver for a Good Cause
    Vancouver is a great place to walk and run and ride bike. During the summer time, many charity groups choose to fundraise their way by organizing road runs, cycling, walks, etc. It is not only a great chance to explore Vancouver with Vancouverites, also to do it for a good cause. Here is a list of events happening in August.

    Events might be taking place in Vancouver as well as in Lower Mainland, Whistler, and Vancouver Island. Plan your travel ahead.

  • Running
    *Squamish Days 10K Aug. 6, @ Squamish
    10 K run in beautiful Squamish, call 604-684-0771 for info.

  • Biking
    *B.C. Cup Downhill and Dual Slalom Aug. 5-6, @ Sunpeaks
    *Canada Cup Finals Aug. 19-20, @ Sunpeaks
    Info on both: www.sunpeaksresort.com

  • Triathlon
    *The ACT World Endurance Triathlon/Canusa Triathlon Championship 2000 Aug. 6, @ Harrison Hot Spring

    Swim 3.8K, bike 180K, run 42k. Info: 800-343-4466.

    *Little Big Foot Triathlon Aug. 5, @ Harrison Hot Spring
    Swim 400m, bike 20K, run 5K. Info: www.triathlons.net

    *Little Big Foot Duathlon Aug. 5, @ Harrison Hot Spring
    Run 3K, bike 20K, run 3K. Info: www.triathlons.net

    *My First Triathlon Aug. 5, @ Harrison Hot Spring
    Swim 400m, bike 20K, run 5K. Info: www.triathlons.net

  • Festivals
    Mountain Wildflower Festival Aug. 5-7, @ Silver Star Mountain, Vernon
    Info: www.silverstarmtn.com

  • Adventure Racing
    Belcarra Adventure Race Aug. 27, @ Belcarra.
    Info: www.Conquerthecoast.com

  • Paddle Sports
    Victoria Dragon Boat Festival Aug. 19-20, @ Victoria
    Info: 250-472-2628

    Etceteras
    Family Fun
    Traveling with kids in Vancouver is not a dreadful nightmare because your kids might enjoy it even more than you do. There are so many things around Vancouver for kids under age of 18. Pacific Nation Exhibition is a great place for example. Also there are Playland, Playdium, Kids Market in Granville Island. There are endless things you can do with your kids while relaxing. Not to mention the other festivals and events you will be likely to attend.

    Symphony of Fire Aug 2, Aug 5
    Annual international firework competition. This year teams from Spain, Italy, and Australia will light up the sky of English Bay. Phone 738-4304 for more info.

    Questions?
    If you want more information about this area you can email the author or check out our North America Insiders page.

    E-mail this Article
    If you liked this article, why not tell someone about it?


    What’s Up
    Vancouver not only owns a geographical beauty, the arts aroma in this city is also a distinct feature one cannot miss.

    In August, many outdoor events are taking places in Vancouver. Numerous concerts, events, fireworks, public fairs, just to list a few.

    The following are categorized into Music, Arts, Sports and Etcetera (anything that does not categorize under Music, Arts, or Sports).

    Quirky Facts
    Vancouver is named after the British captain Vancouver, who discovered this coastal city, west of Canada.

    Geography

    West of Canada, in beautiful Province of British Columbia. Find Vancouver in MapBlast.com.

    Accommodation
    The only type of accommodation I would recommend is the International Youth Hostels. There are more than five in Vancouver, the best ones I would definitely go even as a Vancouverite, are the one in Jericho Beach and in Downtown Vancouver.

    They are relatively cheap, and a great way to make friends from all over the world. Not to mention the awesome location and information available for you!!

    Visit Hostels.com for a full list.

    Transport
    Best way to discover Vancouver is by the public transportation. Bus, seabus, sky train, and rail.

    Buy a BC Transit map in a corner store, super beneficial and clear.

    Cycling is another way to go. There are designated cycling routes in Vancouver that allow you to enjoy your ride without worrying about traffic or getting lost. Go to the downtown library and read books about cycling in Vancouver.

    Money
    No, we are not American, but we do accept American dollars sometimes. However, remember it is the Canadian dollar you need to stack your wallet with. Money exchange places are quite easy to find. One in Robson street is convenient.

    Food City Vancouver

    Pubs and Clubs
    Check The Queue and The Georgia Strait.

    Coffee Shops
    Be Adventurous! If you like it, let me know and I will create a list of coffee shops for other travellers, but I would much prefer to wander around and sit down wherever I ended up.

    New Restaurant
    New blood stream in town is the modern and young Yaletown. Amazing energetic restaurants, cafe, and much more.
    Highly recommended.

    People-watching

  • Starbucks at various locations around Vancouver provides the best coffee shop for people watching.
  • Kitsilano area and the bistro, sports grill, sushi bar, and ice cream place is the best.
  • Denman St. by English Bay, the alternative to Kitsilano.
  • Central Library in Downtown Vancouver, the place I myself would visit at least once a week. Feature is the square, a beauty.

    The Outdoors
    Remember you are in Canada, a huge country with vast outdoors and wilderness. You can even encounter a coyote in Stanley Park, so you are pretty much in outdoors here in Vancouver (technically speaking).

    No Puffing Away!!
    Most people have the impression of Vancouver as a city with no puffing away in any room with a roof. That is right. Due to the concern to workers, the Workers’ Compensation Board had banned smoking anywhere inside buildings. Nope, not even in clubs and pubs.

    The Author’s Words
    Having lived in Vancouver for three years, I was forced to love this city because I couldn’t have moved to anywhere else better other than Cuba and Vancouver (and I am being serious, I would choose Cuba over Vancouver if I had the choice).

    I am the peculiar one who lives in Vancouver and visits local hostels once in a while just for the smell and the atmosphere of the budget traveller and strangeness. I am quite addicted to that, I must confess.