Author: Carolyn Kourofsky

Western New York – August 2000


Hop Off the Thruway and Stay a While
Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse, Canandaigua, Geneva, Niagara Falls – if you know them only as white letters on a green sign as you speed past at 65mph (watch those State troopers!), you need to get off I-90 and look around. There’s a lot more to New York than a City, and whether your idea of fun is cruising a museum or a lake, hearing a concert or seeing a play, taking a hike or just taking a break, you can do it here.

Western New York is HOT!
Does “western New York” conjure visions of blizzards and ice storms? If so, our plan is working – that “frozen north” stuff is just a ploy we locals use to keep the area from getting over-crowded. But I’m about to turn traitor and let you in on a well-kept secret. Western New York is hot! And what better month than August to explore a few cool water attractions:

Erie Canal Canalways
Long before the Thruway, the Erie Canal opened up western New York. It’s still a much better way to see the state, whether you cruise the Canal by boat or try hiking or biking sections of the 220-mile Canalway Trail System. Pick it up at:

  • Erie Canal Heritage Trail (70 miles) between Fairport and Lockport near Rochester;
  • Old Erie Canal State Park Trail (36 miles) between DeWitt (near Syracuse) and Rome;
  • Mohawk-Hudson Bikeway (25 miles) between Rotterdam and Cohoes, near Albany.

    Call 1-800-4CANAL4 or check out www.canals.state.ny.us for more information.

    Onondaga Lake Park
    Admit it, you’ve looked out he window while speeding by and said hey, that looks like a nice park. So hop off at I-81 and take the Liverpool exit to Onondaga Lake Parkway (Rte. 370) to the park entrance. Then hop on the Tram for a shoreline excursion, rent a bike or in-line skates, or just settle in for a picnic. Come on, where else are you likely to find a Salt Museum? Call 716-453-6712 or visit www.co.onondaga.ny.us.

    Darien Lake
    Surprise – there are two Darien Lakes (that’s another attempt to confuse and keep away those pesky tourists). For both, you take exit 48A between Buffalo and Rochester, and head south to Rte. 77. If you’re into camping, fishing, or hiking in the quiet hills, head for Darien Lakes State Park (call 716-547-9242 or check https://nysparks.state.ny.us).

    If you prefer screaming while hurtling up and down hills at 70mph (hey, why didn’t you stay on the Thruway?), head for Six Flags Darien Lake amusement park to catch the Viper, Mind Eraser, Boomerang and other thrill rides, and the huge water park featuring Hook’s Lagoon and Barracuda Bay (716-599-4641).

    Seabreeze
    If the Jack Rabbit and the Soak Zone sound a little more friendly than the above-named vipers and barracudas, try beating the heat at Rochester’s Seabreeze Amusement Park and its Raging River Water Park. From Exit 45 or 47, pick up I-490 to I-590 North to its end at Lake Ontario. Turn left onto Culver Road and go 500 yards to Seabreeze on the left. Call 716-323-1900 or toll-free in NY State 1-800-395-2500.

    Niagara Falls
    Most people cross the border to Canada to see the Falls, pressed on all sides by hordes of tourists and the dozens of gaudy attractions meant to trap them. If you’d just as soon skip the crowds and wax museums, stay stateside and stop at Niagara Reservation State Park in Niagara Falls, New York. You can watch the water from the top of the Observation Tower, from the Maid of the Mist boat, or from behind in the Cave of the Winds.

    From Buffalo, take 190N (coming from the east, take 290N to 190N) and the Robert Moses Parkway into Niagara Falls. Call (716) 278-1796 or look for Niagara Reservation State Park at https://nysparks.state.ny.us.

    And we haven’t even gotten to the Finger Lakes! That’s for a future travel guide…