Author: Lorena Tapia

Ecuador Travel Guide

There are no other tropical destinations that can stand up to the variety offered by Ecuador. With four different regions which go from the Amazon rainforest high up to the majestic Ecuadorian Andes, down to its golden Pacific beaches to reach the amazing Galapagos Islands, Ecuador has it all.

This geographic arc of biodiversity contains a richness of life that is hard to imagine without experiencing it personally.

Ecuador enjoys a spring-like weather year round. Being crossed by the Equator Line it does not have distinct seasons. However we can say the rainy season goes from December through April and even during those months most days are sunny. The temperature in the Andean region runs between 12°C and 20°C, while on the Coast goes from 22°C to 30°C and in the Jungle runs from 24°C to 30°C.

The City of Banos of the Holy Water
Banos lies in the heart of Ecuador, close to the rainforest and surrounded by majestic mountains. On the three hour drive from Quito you can admire the magnificent Avenue of the
Volcanoes.

Cotopaxi is a perfect cone of eternal snow and it is the biggest active volcano in the world; Chimborazo is the furthest peak away from the earth’s center; the twin summits of Illinizas, the beautiful Corazon and the majestic Tungurahua, which is probably the easiest volcano to climb in Ecuador.

Banos is the place for relaxing while enjoying therapeutic hot springs, unspoiled green surroundings and cascading waterfalls. The town’s exceptional location offers a combination of colors and lights that has inspired painters and poets alike. Several galleries in town display paintings and sculptures by talented local artists.

Banos’ night life is certainly Ecuador’s most exciting one: cafes, bars, discotheques, folkloric street music, etc.

Melcocha“, Ecuador’s most famous candy comes from Banos. Made from sugar cane, hung from a hook and beaten against the door frame, this taffy is an integral part of the Banos way
of life and something of which the locals are proud of.

Banos’ Basilica, dominating the main square was built with volcanic rock at the start of the century. It was constructed in Gothic style and decorated with illustrations of the miracles performed by the famous Virgin of the Holy Water.

In Banos there are many cozy hostels and small hotels as well as the exclusive Swiss managed LUNA RUNTUN, located 400 meters above the city, offering breathtaking views of the city, its valley and the active Tungurahua volcano. For more information about their services, visit their web site.

There are plenty of things to do in Banos: horseback riding to Runtun from where the view of the volcano is just spectacular, hiking possibilities, jungle tours to the Amazon rainforest, biking tours, hot springs, etc. Banos is certainly the tourist capital of Ecuador!

Ecuador Facts

Location

Located on the north west coast of South America. Colombia and Peru are the neighbouring countries. Click here for a map.

Language

Spanish is the official language. Quichua and various indigenous languages of native people in the lowlands are also considered national languages.

Currency

Officially it is the “sucre”. The exchange rate is 25,000 sucres per US dollar, a condition that is very favourable for travellers. Ecuador is entering to a dollarization process nowadays.

Banks and exchange houses open from Monday through Friday, so it is very simple to exchange money.

Entry Requirements

Visitors must hold a valid passport and a certified copy of a visa obtained from an Ecuadorian consulate (this is required only to citizens of some countries). Check with your travel agent for the current requirements for your nationality.

Citizens from the U.S. and Canada do not need a visa and will receive a temporary state permit upon presentation of valid passport.

Vaccinations

None are required to enter into Ecuador. If you are planning to visit the Amazon rainforest we suggest to consult your physician for most up to date information.

Airline Companies

I recommend using the services of Saeta, Ecuatoriana, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, KLM, Iberia and Avianca.