Author: Stacy Ashworth

London, England – September 2000



Many people come to London with the idea that they must see all the big museums and tourist attractions, but this overlooks London’s charm. The buildings and squares are interesting and diverse, making exploring fun and interesting because the scene always changes.

The best option is to pick an area and wander aimlessly. You will be guaranteed to find lots of history and interesting pubs and most likely pretty parks and gardens as well. Be sure to go down narrow streets and alleys, as they often lead to hidden openings or charming mews. Any buildings that have housed famous people or events will be marked with a blue plaque listing who and when.

My favorite areas to explore are Mayfair, Southwark, Hampstead, the Inns of Court, the City, and Richmond for river walks. Another idea is to create your own theme tour. For example, set out to see all the train stations, or bridges, or parks, or markets.

If you are the type of person that wants commentary on what you’re seeing, or don’t like exploring on your own, there are many options in London for different types of tours.

Bus Tours
There are three companies that offer hop-on-hop-off bus tours. They generally offer several different routes, and added extras such as free river cruises. Tickets are generally valid for 24 hours. They can be boarded at most major tourist areas. I think the best one is the Big Bus Company, because it has live commentary.

Bike Tours
It is possible to tour London by bicycle – either on your own or as a part of a guided tour. London Bicycle Tour Company offers several different routes.

Walking Tours
Several companies offer walking tours and their brochures can generally be found anywhere there are tourist pamphlets. They do get rather large crowds in the summer months, but in the winter they are a great way to learn interesting facts about an area in an intimate group. They generally follow a theme so there is bound to be something to suit your taste. Stepping Out is one of the companies, and has a web site.

Boat Tours
I’m not particularly fond of the river cruises, but many people enjoy them. There are several companies that offer cruises and they leave from different piers and offer different services. A listing can be found at LondonTown.com.

General Info on London

London’s huge. It’s also crowded and buzzing with an energy all it’s own. With the exception of wildlife you can find everything you’ve ever dreamt of – for a price.

When coming here the number one thing you can count on is that you’re not going to be bored. The number two thing is that you’re going to spend a lot more money than you planned (even considering most museums & galleries are free).

Guide Book Update
London has gone a little crazy for the Millennium and spent a lot of money on not so good attractions. The most expensive and famous of these is the Millennium Dome in Greenwich.

At £20 a ticket you can celebrate the Millennium inside what looks like a big circus tent. The dome is filled with different “zones” each offering entertainment and education. The Dome has been hugely controversial and is expected to fall short of its expected visitors target when it closes next year.

The London Eye, the world’s largest Ferris wheel, has been erected across the Thames from Big Ben. It was supposed to carry people during the New Years festivities, but a technical glitch left it spinning empty.

“The Eye” is now open – but you have to book at least 5 days in advance or they won’t let you on, even if there are empty cars! (This is so typically British it’s not even funny)

Phone Codes
London phone numbers have changed – the old are codes were 0171 and 0181 are now 0207 and 0208. When dialing within London the 020 may be dropped, but the 7 or 8 must always be added.

Accommodation
For listings of hotels offering cheap rates and internet reservations, check out londontown.co.uk

Recommended Readings
Edward Rutherford’s “London.” Okay okay, it’s a long book, but if you have a long plane ride the payoff is excellent. There’s so much more to be had from the city when you can walk around and understand how the things you’re seeing got there.

Getting Around
I know all guidebooks will tell you to take black cabs, and they are pretty cool but also pretty expensive. You can get much cheaper travel by finding a minicab, with whom you can negotiate the price upfront. They are really easy to find at night, they hang around outside of night clubs and other attractions, and they’re listed in the phone book if you want to get one from your hotel.

Click here for a map of the London Underground that opens into a new window.

Where to Find Info
The what’s on bible for most Londoners is “Time Out” which is widely available and comes out weekly for £1.80.


Every Thursday the very similar (though not as comprehensive) guide “Hot Tickets” comes free with the 35p Evening Standard – which is sold on all street corners.