Author: Lisa Tossey

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – September 2000


Events for September

City of Brotherly Love

  • September 2-4
    Yo! Philadelphia
    A festival celebrating Philadelphia held on the Delaware River waterfront. Featuring live performers, music, and local food. Can you smell the cheesesteaks?

    For info call: (215) 636-1666.

  • September 3-4
    Philly’s Big Backyard BBQ

    Another excuse to get outside and eat – sponsored by Independence Blue Cross. Held on Penn’s Landing, featuring good food and music. Have a Labor Day weekend get-together without having to worry about your backyard grill! Admission charge.

    For info call: (215) 922-2FUN.

  • September 17
    Philadelphia Distance Run
    Lace up your running shoes and burn off all those calories you consumed earlier in the month. This race is considered one of Philadelphia’s premier half-marathons, and
    attracts thousands of runners. Held along the Ben Franklin Parkway.

    For info call: (215) 665-8500.

  • September 17
    Mexican Independence Day
    For those of you who would rather skip any athletic endeavors – return to Penn’ s Landing for this lively festival. Part of PECO Energy’s multicultural series. Highlights
    include a symbolic “Cry for Independence” ceremony, Mexican stage entertainment, crafts and (surprise!) food. From Noon until 7:30 pm.

    For info call: (215) 922-2FUN.

  • September 24
    Puerto Rico Day Parade
    An annual parade and festival celebrating Puerto Rican heritage. The parade travels along the Ben Franklin Parkway to Independence Hall.

    For info call: (215) 627-3100.

  • September 24
    Sippin’ by the River
    A wine and beer tasting festival with a cause – benefits the Philadelphia chapter of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America. Features include the obvious – great tasty
    beverages – as well as gourmet munchies, tutored tasting sessions and a silent auction. On the Delaware River waterfront from 1:00 to 6:00 pm. You must be 21 years old for the tastings. Admission charge.

    For info call: (215) 922-2FUN.

  • September 24
    Von Steuben Day Gala & Parade
    This parade honors the famous German General that trained our patriots in Valley Forge, and celebrates German heritage and culture. The parade travels from Logan Circle to Independence Hall.

    For info call: (215) 742-3587.

    How ‘Bout a Museum?
    Philly has a museum for every type of interest…here is a listing of a few of over 100 museums in the area. Included are both larger, educational institutions, as well as smaller, local establishments that specialize in specific (and sometimes strange) subjects.

    Atwater Kent Museum
    Focuses on Philadelphia’s history, with locally themed programs and exhibits. Currently featuring an exhibit of Norman Rockwell’s artwork (through October), and an exhibit of Presidential campaign memorabilia (through November).

    15 S. 7th Street, (215) 922-3031
    Open 10am-5pm daily except Tuesday.

    Admission.

    Betsy Ross House
    This historical house focuses on the history of the U.S. flag.
    239 Arch Street, (215) 627-5343
    Open 10am-5pm Tuesday through Sunday.

    Donation.

    Independence Seaport Museum
    This museum traces Philadelphia’s history as a port city. Features hands-on exhibits and galleries, including the 1892 cruiser “Olympia” and the World War II submarine “Becuna”.

    211 S. Columbus Blvd. At Penn’s Landing, (215) 925-5439
    Open 10am-5pm daily (except New Year’s, Thanksgiving and Christmas).
    Admission.

    Philadelphia Museum of Art
    Featuring paintings, sculptures and architectural pieces from Europe, Asia and the Americas spanning 2000 years of history. A Van Gogh exhibit will be the major attraction this fall.

    26th Street and the Ben Franklin Parkway, (215) 763-8100
    Open 10am-5pm Tuesday-Sunday, and until 8:45pm Wednesday.

    Admission – But free until 1 pm on Sundays.

    The Franklin Institute Science Museum
    A hands-on science museum including a giant walk-through heart (very cool!). Also houses a planetarium and IMAX theater. Home of the Benjamin Franklin National Memorial.

    20th Street and the Ben Franklin Parkway, (215) 448-1200
    Open 9:30am-5:00pm daily.

    Admission.

    The Academy of Natural Sciences
    This museum was founded back in 1812, making it the oldest science research institute in the Western Hemisphere. Features a live butterfly exhibit, a working paleontology lab, and dinosaurs (including a T. Rex and Gigantosaurus).

    1900 Ben Franklin Parkway, (215) 299-1000
    Open 10:30am-4:30pm weekdays, 10am-5:00pm weekends and holidays.

    Admission.

    The African American Museum in Philadelphia
    This museum houses four galleries for exhibits, and features over 400,000 objects preserving the intellectual culture of African Americans.

    701 Arch Street, (215) 574-0380
    Open 10am-5pm Tuesday-Saturday, and Noon-5pm Sunday.

    Admission.

    Mummer’s Museum
    A Philly original, that chronicles the local tradition of the annual Mummer’s Parade, held on New Year’s Day. A celebration, much like Mardi Gras, in which Philadelphia’s working class dresses in elaborate feathered and sequined costumes and struts down Market Street. This museum has two floors of Mummer memorabilia, including prize-winning costumes. String band concerts are held from 8pm-10pm on Tuesday nights from May – September.

    1100 S. Second Street, (215) 336-3050
    Open 9:30am-5pm Tuesday-Saturday, Noon-5pm Sunday.

    Admission.

    The Mutter Museum
    Probably the strangest museum of the bunch, and not for the feint of heart! This museum focuses on medical oddities – including a tumor extracted from President Grover Cleveland’s cancerous jawbone, the liver shared by 19th century Siamese twins, and a skeleton of a 7’6″ giant next to one of a 3’6″ dwarf. Also includes the Chevalier Jackson Collection of Foreign Bodies – objects extracted from those who swallowed them. Yum!

    19 S.22nd Street, (215) 563-3737
    Open 10am-4pm Monday-Saturday, Noon to 4pm Sunday.

    Admission.


    Geography
    Philly is located on the Eastern Coast of the US, a short distance from Washington D.C., New York City and Atlantic City, NJ.

    Accommodations
    A wide variety of hotels at all price ranges may be found in Center City.  I am myself a B&B lover, especially in such a historical city, so here are a few to choose from:

    Bed & Breakfasts

  • Gaskill House
    Old City, a private residence since 1828 w/a private city garden.  (215)413-0669

  • Rittenhouse B&B
    A beautiful European-style B&B centrally located. (215)545-1755

  • Ten Eleven Clinton B&B
    The highest rated B&B in Philly (AAA 3-diamond).  An all suite B&B, with many amenities in a townhouse dated to 1836. (215)923-8144

  • Spring Garden Manor
    In the Art Museum district, featuring artwork by local artists.  Rooms have private baths. (215)567-2484

    Transport
    Airport
    The cheapest method of transportation between Philadelphia International Airport and Center City is the SEPTA Train.  The train picks up from all terminals, and runs to 3 Center City stations :
    30th Street Station (N 30th St. between Market and Arch Sts.)
    Suburban Station (JFK Blvd. between N 16th and 17th Sts.), and

    Market East Station (N 11th and Market St.).

    A one way ticket costs $5, and trains run every 30 minutes from 6:10am to 12:10am.  The ride takes 20-30 minutes. Most areas of the city are accessible from these stations by bus, subway or cab.

    Cab fare from the airport to most Center City locations runs about $20, and the ride can take 15-30 minutes, depending on traffic.

    Train
    30th Street Station is the main Amtrak station, with service to and from most major Eastern U.S. cities.

    Money
    US currency is standard.
    Per diem costs can range from $50 and up, depending on your tastes!

    Weird Facts
    The term "United States of America" was used for the first time on July 6, 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was published in Philadelphia’s Pennsylvania Evening Post.

    Philadelphia’s first corrupt politician was William Penn’s cousin, Col. William Markham. Markham served as Penn’s deputy governor from 1693 to 1699.  During this time he offered a safe haven to pirates (including Captain Kidd) for the sum of 100 British pounds per crew member.

    The Author
    I am not a native Philadelphian by any means…however I have lived here now for over a year, and have come to appreciate all it has to offer!

    Other Philly Links
    Citysearch Philadelphia