Author: Gerald Schwartz

Toronto, Ontario – September 2000


September means the end of summer but a quieter time to visit and enjoy the glories of autumn’s arrival.

  • September 1-4
    Blueprints Arts & Entertainment Festival
    At Harbourfront , this free venue showcases an intercultural fusion of dance, music, literature, film, art and design.

  • September 2-4

    The Canadian International Air Show
    The final days of the C.N.E. (“The Ex“) are highlighted by the ground and aerial display of commercial and military aircraft. See their website for events and show times.

  • September 4-10
    The PGA Bell Canada Open
    The best in the PGA golf tour meet at Glen Abbey Golf Club in Oakville (accessible by G.O. train from Union Station downtown).

  • September 7-16
    Toronto International Film Festival

    This is the ‘biggie’ for film buffs in Toronto and indeed in North America: a 10-day celebration of Canadian and International films. Literally hundreds of screenings take place at various cinema venues in the downtown core and part of the fun is ‘schmoozing’ in line. This festival brings in big stars, directors and movie moguls promoting their offerings. Plan carefully and you’ll enjoy.

  • September 8-10
    The Vegetarian Food Fair
    York Quay Centre in the Harbourfront area hosts a free admission three-day fair featuring cooking demos, food samples and speakers.

  • September 16
    Pioneer Festival at Black Creek Pioneer Village.

    Enjoy old fashioned entertainment at this Mennonite and Pennsylvania-German festival.

    By mid-September with cooler nights, the leaves have started to turn colours and usually reach their height in early to mid October in the city. This is a great season to stroll Toronto’s leafy neighbourhoods and parks and do some great photo opportunities.


    Location

    Toronto is in Southern Ontario on Lake Ontario, one of the five Great Lakes. It is about 90 minutes by road from the U.S. border (New York state), about 4 hours from Ottawa and five from Montreal, Quebec. The city is quite spread out from east to west and also north but about all the main tourist attractions are accessible by TTC (public transit: bus, streetcars and subway: a third subway line is being completed).

    Climate

    Lake Ontario tends to moderate the city’s climate especially near downtown so that both the winters and summers are not extreme (with some brief exceptions to the rule!). Spring is brief but fresh and the fall is filled with the glorious colours of maple leaves from mid-September to mid-October approximately.

    Getting There

    The Airport Express Bus (frequent departures from all three terminals) runs from Pearson International Airport to downtown and three subway stations at a reasonable cost. The subway runs about 20 hours weekdays, less frequent on weekends If you arrive by bus or train, you are right downtown. Pacific Western has excellent, clean coaches with helpful drivers and even runs a van after hours downtown (0100-0500).

    Currency and Measurements
    There is a Canadian Dollar (x-change rates) with circulating paper bills (multi-coloured) of $5, 10, 20, 50, and $100. The last bill is difficult to change everywhere.

    There are 100 cents to the dollar and coins of 1, 5, 10, and 25 (called a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter). There are also two larger coins: a ‘loonie’ ($1) and a ‘twonie'($2).

    Canada uses the metric system on the whole, but clothing sizes are often still in inches. Remember that a kilometre is only 6/10 of a mile!

    Travellers cheques in Canadian Dollars should be available in your home country and are readily accepted for payment. There are many banks with good hours and also “Bureaux de Change” such as Thomas Cook in many tourist areas.

    Neighbourhoods to Explore

    Yorkville, The Annex (University of Toronto area), College Street, Corso Italia, The Danforth, Dundas-Spadina/ Kensington Market (Chinese, Vietnamese, and Portuguese), High Park and Bloor West Village, The Beaches and others to discover on your own. All of the above have ambiance and interesting places to eat.

    Click here for a map of Toronto’s neighbourhoods in a new browser window.

    About the Author

    I was born and brought up in Montreal and worked as a driver-guide at Expo ’67, the World’s Fair to celebrate Canada’s Centennial Year in 1967 – what a memorable summer!

    I’ve lived in Israel and taught English there before moving to Toronto in 1976. I left teaching 12 years early in middle age to enjoy more adventurous travel, writing and learning.

    Some countries/regions I’ve traveled to on my own without a fixed itinerary in the past 5 years are: Morocco, Tunisia, Ecuador, Sicily, Bolivia, Peru, Cuba and the island of Carriacou (find this one!). An upcoming trip is to Greenland at the end of June.