Author: Lisa Tossey

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – October 2000


Events for October

Angel

  • All month
    Simply Delicious

    A month long celebration of Pennsylvania foods and wines held at Reading Terminal Market. Attend “Meet the Producers” on October 7 from 10am – 4pm and enjoy exhibits on cheese-making, honey-making and aquaculture; wine tastings hosted by four PA wineries, and various cooking demonstrations and samplings. Yum! You can find the market on 12th Street between Filbert and Arch Streets.

  • October 1
    Italy Is Back in the Park
    A fall festival of wine and food benefiting St. Agnes Medical Center. Experience some of the best wine and Italian food in the city – over 50 of the finest restaurants and food vendors in town are participating. Festivities begin at 1 pm in historic Girard Park (S. 21st and Porter & Shunk Streets). For info call: (215) 339-4323.

  • October 14-17
    Radnor Hunt International Three-Day Event
    A blue-blooded excuse to get outside and enjoy the fall colors. Located minutes outside of Philadelphia, this international level eventing competition has the elegance of Dressage (held on October 14 & 15) the thrill of cross-country jumping (October 16) and the nail-biting excitement of show jumping (October 17). Over 20,000 spectators are expected to attend. Besides horses, you can also visit the food vendors, shop for antiques and crafts, or visit the trade fair. Daily admission runs from $6 to $12, and a 4-day pass is $20. For info call: (610) 647-4002.

  • October 12-31
    Terror Behind the Walls
    Do Not Miss This One! 40 minutes in an abandoned turn-of-the-century penitentiary, at night. Need I say more? This place is spooky enough when it’s not all gussied up for Halloween. Will you find your way out? Tickets run $15-20 for adults, and $8-13 for children. It’s a good idea to buy tickets ahead of time – they get scarce the week leading up to Halloween. For info call: (215) 236-3300.

  • October 22 – January 14, 2001
    Van Gogh: Face to Face
    This show of Van Gogh’s work promises to “focus, for the first time, on Van Gogh’s evolving approach to the portrait throughout a tragically brief life.” Tickets are on sale now, and range from $8 to $20, dependent on age of purchaser and day visited. For info call: (215) 235-SHOW.

    Get Out! (While You Still Can)
    Here comes fall – the cool temperatures, changing leaves and school uniforms are all reminders that summer passes by much too quickly. Therefore, now is the perfect time to get out and enjoy the mild weather, before Old Man Winter and daylight savings time strike. What to do, you ask? Well, let me tell you!

    First of all, Philly is a great walking town, and even a great running town if you’re brave enough to take on cobblestones and sketchy taxi drivers here and there. Secondly, there are some beautiful places to cruise along on a bike, if that’s more your speed.

    Bike rentals are available throughout the city – just pick up the yellow pages to find the location nearest you. One shop that is centrally located is Trophy Bikes on Market Street between 3rd and 4th Streets. They offer bike tours of the historical portions of Philadelphia starting at $30 a day, as well as hourly and daily bike rentals. Also, if you plan on visiting the Philadelphia Museum of Art, there are bike rental vendors located directly behind the museum, near the Azalea Gardens.

    Here is an idea for a decent bike ride, which you can tailor to meet your needs and abilities. Take a camera – there’s usually something interesting enough to click the shutter for. Also, wear a helmet! City riding is never easy…and I believe I’ve already mentioned our cab drivers! I’ll start you off at Independence Hall (Chestnut Street, between 5th and 6th), since that is a landmark most people (even locals) can find…

  • Take advantage of the free tour of Independence Hall before you go anywhere – the place is chock full of history, and you can’t beat the price!
  • Take 6th Street north two blocks to Market Street – Be sure to peer in and catch a glimpse of the Liberty Bell as you breeze by.
  • Turn left on Market Street, heading west. You should see City Hall looming before you. Pedal straight for it, and resist the urge to stop at the Hard Rock Café (trust me – you DO NOT need another “Hard Rock (insert city here)” tee).
  • Once at City Hall, take a look around. This building is the largest municipal building in the world, with 14.5 acres of floor space. It took 30 years to build, at the cost of $25 million, with work being completed in 1901. Around here, people either love it or hate it!

    Love sculpture

  • When you’re done exploring, head to the NW corner of the square (Filbert & 15th Streets) and cross over to JFK Square. Here you’ll find a fountain, the “LOVE” sculpture that you may have seen Will Smith dance on in one of his videos, and a lot of skateboarders (watch out for those guys). Continue NW – you’ll see a road across the square at the NW corner.
  • This road (that hopefully you’re now on) is Benjamin Franklin Parkway – you should see the Philadelphia Art Museum straight ahead. Push towards the museum – you’ll loop around Logan Circle in the process. In the center of Logan Circle is the Swann Memorial Fountain, which was created in 1924. The three figures represent the city’s three main waterways: the Delaware River, Schuykill River, and Wissahickon Creek.
  • As you cruise down the parkway, glance up at the flags overhead that hang on both sides of the street. How many countries can you name? Don’t worry – the answers are on placards below them. Also, if you have time, check out the Rodin Museum, which just reopened this summer after undergoing renovations. It will be on your right, about halfway to the Art Museum (which should still be straight ahead, right?).
  • You made it to the Art Museum – Pull a “Rocky”. Go ahead – drop that bike (Rental? Lock it up securely) and run up those stairs! After pumping your fists in the air triumphantly, hobble back down those stairs, pick up your bike, and pedal around the right side (we’re still heading NW) of the building. Just behind the museum, you will find a paved exercise path. This path follows the banks of the Schuylkill River for miles and miles. Feeling ambitious? You can take it all the way to Valley Forge if you like…Good luck!
  • This is the point that you decide how far you want to go. There are some beautiful sites within the first few miles. The first main sight you’ll encounter is Boathouse Row – 10 Victorian boathouses that house local rowing clubs. You’ll usually see a number of the scullers from these houses swiftly cutting their way through the river.
  • Also of note, a bit further along, is a statue named “The Cowboy“. It is a breathtaking life-size bronze of a mounted cowboy, which was created in 1908 by Frederic Remington. You’ll see it off to your right, perched on a rock over the roadway, so that appears that the horse is about to jump into the traffic below.
  • Feel that you’ve had enough? Pull a 180, and head back the way you came. Use the tower of City Hall to direct you. Want to make a day of it? Pack a blanket, sandwich and some munchies – there are plenty of scenic spots along the river to pull over and have a picnic.

  • Did you make it back to Independence Hall, and now feel that you’ve earned a beer (or several)? Finish your tour at the City Tavern – just SE of the Hall at 2nd and Walnut Streets. Paul Revere made a stop here in 1774, and George Washington enjoyed dinner here on the way to New York for his 1789 inauguration. Their beer is made from recipes perfected by Thomas Jefferson, and the same Mr. Washington. Have a few mugs, and enjoy making fun of the poor wait staff who have to dress in colonial garb.


    Geography
    Philly is located on the Eastern Coast of the US, a short distance from Washington D.C., New York City and Atlantic City, NJ.

    Accommodations
    A wide variety of hotels at all price ranges may be found in Center City.  I am myself a B&B lover, especially in such a historical city, so here are a few to choose from:

    Bed & Breakfasts

  • Gaskill House
    Old City, a private residence since 1828 w/a private city garden.  (215)413-0669

  • Rittenhouse B&B
    A beautiful European-style B&B centrally located. (215)545-1755

  • Ten Eleven Clinton B&B
    The highest rated B&B in Philly (AAA 3-diamond).  An all suite B&B, with many amenities in a townhouse dated to 1836. (215)923-8144

  • Spring Garden Manor
    In the Art Museum district, featuring artwork by local artists.  Rooms have private baths. (215)567-2484

    Transport
    Airport
    The cheapest method of transportation between Philadelphia International Airport and Center City is the SEPTA Train.  The train picks up from all terminals, and runs to 3 Center City stations :
    30th Street Station (N 30th St. between Market and Arch Sts.)
    Suburban Station (JFK Blvd. between N 16th and 17th Sts.), and

    Market East Station (N 11th and Market St.).

    A one way ticket costs $5, and trains run every 30 minutes from 6:10am to 12:10am.  The ride takes 20-30 minutes. Most areas of the city are accessible from these stations by bus, subway or cab.

    Cab fare from the airport to most Center City locations runs about $20, and the ride can take 15-30 minutes, depending on traffic.

    Train
    30th Street Station is the main Amtrak station, with service to and from most major Eastern U.S. cities.

    Money
    US currency is standard.
    Per diem costs can range from $50 and up, depending on your tastes!

    Weird Facts
    The term "United States of America" was used for the first time on July 6, 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was published in Philadelphia’s Pennsylvania Evening Post.

    Philadelphia’s first corrupt politician was William Penn’s cousin, Col. William Markham. Markham served as Penn’s deputy governor from 1693 to 1699.  During this time he offered a safe haven to pirates (including Captain Kidd) for the sum of 100 British pounds per crew member.

    The Author
    I am not a native Philadelphian by any means…however I have lived here now for over a year, and have come to appreciate all it has to offer!

    Other Philly Links
    Citysearch Philadelphia