Author: David Hanney

Bali Travel Guide – The People


The People
Basically they are lovely people and you will enjoy the experience. It is worth noting however that it is a very poor country and the people chase every dollar. In January ’99 we saw, for the first time, beggars on the streets (mainly at night). We are advised NOT to give to them, as you will encourage more of it. Also, quite frankly, once someone sees you give they will be all over you.

Besides the airport experience, your first contact with the people will be when you walk out of your Hotel and hit the streets. You will be confronted by street hawkers trying to sell you anything from a watch to perfume (UGH!!) to cigarette lighters to bracelets to…anything. This is probably the most difficult area to cope with but we can assure you that it is easy once you understand a few things!

  • They are very lowly paid and only get paid on sales.
  • They are experts in remembering names and picking the tourists that they can beat.
  • When they start to talk to you whilst showing you their bag of goodies – DON’T stop unless you intend to buy (Don’t even think of buying until you have been in Bali for a few days).
  • When they say thing like “Do you want to buy some…whatever” and you say NO (“Ti Dah” in Bahusa Indonesian) they will then say “maybe tomorrow?” DON’T say OK or maybe or yes, just say NO! They have great memories and will confront you the next day and remind you quite strongly that you said OK or maybe or yes.

    The secret in dealing with the people is confidence. If they see you looking a little timid or unsure, watch out – they’ll get ya!!

    Tipping
    Tipping in Bali is generally not required or expected. In fact, the advice from tour operators is not to tip other than where indicated below. This applies particularly in the Hotel (Padma) as all prices include taxes and tips – This may or may not be the case in the Jimbaran Bay Hotel.

    People to Tip

  • Porters at the Airport as mentioned.
  • Taxi Drivers.
  • Beemo drivers (when used for ½ day or longer trips – not when using as taxi for short trips).
  • Hotel porters (the young chap that takes your luggage to your room is usually on a six month (UNPAID) work experience and lives off the tips – usually 5000 Rp($1).
  • Not necessary at restaurants, although you can if you wish.