Author: Lisa Tossey

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – November 2000


Events for November

  • October 21 – November 19
    Autumn Colors and Chrysanthemum Festival

    This festival is held at Longwood Gardens, located in Kennett Square, PA, 30 miles outside of Philadelphia. The facility consists of 1,050 acres of gardens, woodlands, and meadows, and bills itself as the “world’s premier horticultural display garden”. This festival brings the classic book Wind in the Willows to life through topiary recreations of the book’s characters in scenes throughout the Conservatory. Also offered are children’s story times, cooking demonstrations, talks on chrysanthemums, willow basket making, and tours and history walks through the gardens.
    For info call: (610) 388-1000

  • October 22 – January 14
    Van Gogh: Face-to-Face
    This show of van Gogh’s work promises to “focus, for the first time, on van Gogh’s evolving approach to the portrait throughout a tragically brief life.” Catch this show now – this is the last stop on the tour!

    Tickets are range from $8 to $20, dependent on age of purchaser and day visited.
    For info call: (215) 235-SHOW.

  • October 27 – November 12
    Edgar Allan Poe Evermore
    All right, this isn’t in Philly – it’s at the Mount Hope Estate & Winery, which is located 90 miles outside of Philadelphia, near Lancaster and Hershey, PA. However,
    from what I’ve heard, the productions are worth it – so why not make a day trip out of it, and enjoy a scenic drive through Lancaster County? Meet Edgar Poe at the Mansion and experience his chilling works first-hand! And…here’s the best part: complimentary wine tasting at every showing!

    Ticket prices are $15.95. Reservations are suggested.
    For more info or tickets call: (717) 665-7021, ext. 231

  • November 4 – 5
    Apple Festival
    Red apples, caramel apples, apple butter, apple cider…it’s that time of year. Visit Peddlers Village, an 18th-century style attraction featuring 75 quality specialty shops and restaurants in Bucks County. The festival includes craftspeople showing their wares and demonstrating their skills, including sample country apple butter cooked over an open fire. Live music, marionettes, medicine shows, and pie-eating contests add to the festivities of this traditional fall celebration.

    Runs from 10 am to 6 pm. Free admission.

  • November 4 – 5
    World Championship Punkin’ Chunkin’
    Here’s another event that is a hike from Philly, but I had to put it in – it’s just too much fun! The World Championship Punkin’ Chunkin’ embodies the true spirit of American ingenuity and competitiveness: given a challenge (even an inane one), no true American backs down. Competitors blast, launch and propel pumpkins, often using convoluted techniques and high-powered machinery. Why, you ask? For the sole purpose of winning. Ah, the glory!

    Held at the Eagle Crest Aerodrome in Lewes, DE.
    For info call: (302) 856-1444

  • November 12
    Girls on the Move
    This is way cooler than “Bring Your Daughter to Work”. Girls on the Move is a national tour that promotes healthy physical, emotional and mental health for women of all ages. Highlights include a cross-country bike expedition, Olympic Athletes, celebrities, entertainment, educational and physical activities.

    For more information, contact Girls on the Move at 1-800-437-6071

  • November 24 – December 23
    A Charles Dickens Victorian Christmas
    Here’s another day-trip opportunity! Yup, like the Poe production above, this event is held at Mount Hope Estate & Winery. (Need I mention the complimentary wine tasting again? I didn’t think so) Charles Dickens invites you to the Mansion for his Yuletide party, complete with carols, and mean old Ebenezer Scrooge.

    Admission is $14.95
    For more info or tickets call: (717) 665-7021, ext. 231

  • November 25
    (Insert Corporate Sponsor Here) Thanksgiving Day Parade
    So many names are attached to this parade, I didn’t want to attempt list all the sponsors. If you can’t make it to the Macy’s shindig (which, for the record does not attach its name to this one), check out the City of Brotherly Love’s version. Expect the usual bands and floats, as well as a Santa Claus finale. Why for Turkey Day? I don’t know…

    Parade route follows Benjamin Franklin Parkway.

    Do It Yourself…With a Little Help

    So you’re planning to visit Philadelphia, but you don’t have a game plan for what to do once you get here. You’re worn out from just figuring out the cheapest way to travel, and the last thing you feel like doing is leafing through your handy travel guide for ideas. Don’t sweat it – try one of these pre-planned itineraries, which offer some great ideas with minimal effort required on your part. Just click, and print!

    Stars in Your Eyes
    Here’s your chance to do what the stars do. See for yourself what celebrities love about Philadelphia. Try Bill Cosby’s “Are We There Yet?” Adventure, or Kevin Bacon’s Rockin’ Good Time.

    Driving Tour of Philadelphia Movie Sites
    This is a very detailed tour of sites made famous by the big screen. Check out spots you’ll recognize from scenes in “Philadelphia” (surprise, surprise), “Trading Places”, “Rocky” (pick a version – any version), “Age of Innocence”, “The In Crowd”, and many others. You can also go the easy route, and click on one of the virtual tours at the top of the page to see the sites from the comfort of your deckchair. Don’t forget to grab the popcorn!

    A Piece of History
    Tucked away in America’s most historic square mile are some of our nation’s most well-known and sacred historic treasures: the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and the Betsy Ross House. Bet you didn’t know you could spend up to three days exploring all this history.

    Get an Eyeful!
    Is it a beautiful day? Then take a look at these incredible pieces of outdoor artwork. The Mural Arts Program has painted more than 1,900 murals on public walls throughout the city, as well as at schools, recreation centers, and public housing complexes. This “outdoor gallery” of murals is the largest of its kind, making Philadelphia the mural capital of the country.

    Go Ahead…Do It Yourself!
    This one requires just a little effort on your part. Design your own tour of American Independence, by starting at the Visitor Center at 3rd and Chestnut, and then choosing which sites in Independence Park interest you the most.

    Want to Save Some Dough?
    We all appreciate saving $$$ here and there – especially when traveling. Welcome to the on-line version of the Stars, Stripes & Savings coupon book. Just print these coupons out, and bring them to area attractions and restaurants for redemption. Now you have that spare cash for an extra cheesesteak…Yum!