Author: Kezmal Hicks

Eight Days of Madness: Cradle Mountain to Lake St Clair (3 of 3)



What is the Overland Track?
This track is the best known and most used long distance walking track in Tasmania. This said, it is one of the hardest tracks going. Spanning 80 kilometres, the track winds through spectacular alpine scenery, eucalypt forests, palm valleys and open grassland.

It takes 5 to 10 days to complete at an enjoyable leisurely pace. However, some people actually do it in two days and some even run it – crazy methinks!

This area receives huge amount of rainfall and the creeks and rivers are nearly always running. They are ultra cold and at times very fast flowing – care must be taken when swimming in them. They are very drinkable and if everybody heeds the advice of not camping too close or using them for toilet/washing, then they will stay in the pristine condition they currently are.

There are a number of huts along the track and should be used whenever possible to help protect the delicate environment. Camping anywhere along the track is permissible. Bird and animal watching are very fun activities here and the wildflowers are incredible along the way. Photography is a must and don’t be surprised if you run out of film – I took some 20 rolls – it’s so amazing!

Permits and Park Fees
This is a World Heritage Area and to help keep it maintained a Wilderness Pass is required. We went in February 1998 and it was A$20 per person. These have changed. Contact the Field Center or Tasmania Parks and Wildlife for the correct fee.

When to Go
Summer
December to February the weather is warm, possible 30°C but a white Christmas is not uncommon! This is peak season so there will be lots of trekkers and also high summer so lots of snakes.

Autumn
March to May is called the “Fagus” season, a deciduous beech whose golden-orange autumn colours are said to be incredible and fantastic for photo opportunities. The weather is beginning to cool – Temp averages below 20°C.

Winter
June to August is snow time – the days are crisp and clean (especially morning) but be ready for blizzards which can cause you to be holed up for days. Temp can/does go below freezing.

Spring
September to November, the rainy season but of course everything comes out into full bloom! Temp is about 15 to 20°C.

What to Take

  • Highly recommended is a tent. Although there are huts along the way, these can be full at times and sometimes when the weather has turned, you may not reach the huts in time.
  • Sleeping bag and self inflating mattress – the bunks in the huts are just boards – nothing else!
  • Huge heavy duty bag liners – these are a must. Because it gets misty, drizzles lots and loads of rain, without a bag liner, everything in your rucksack will get wet – and then it’s near impossible to get it dry.
  • Fuel stove and Fuel – I recommend the Traniger type, works on Metho and is very light to carry.
  • Compass, Topographic map and a whistle – anyone who treks without is asking for trouble. Wilderness areas are very easy to get lost in and a whistle will help people to find you. When we were at Palm Valley, a trekker went missing at the Acropolis and it took awhile for them to find her. A whistle is very important! Don’t even try to do this trek with out a map or compass, as there are many tracks inside this area.
  • First Aid kit – Once inside the wilderness area, it’s very isolated and can take ages for medical help to arrive.
  • Clothing – don’t take too much clothing, you’ll most probably end up wearing the same t-shirt and shorts for two or three days (it does get cold and so it does get harder to change!). Make sure you bring thermals, even in summer and bring lots of warm woollen socks – your socks and boots will get drenched nearly every day because in parts you are walking through streams. Don’t forget a good weatherproof jacket with hood and a wide brim hat.
  • Food – lots of high energy bars. For main meals bring noodles, rice, fresh veggies like carrots, potatoes (things that have a longer life), freeze dried food. One of my favourites when trekking is the Soya based “mince” that is dried. Add water, dried peas and carrots, some tomato paste and noodles and voilá – a very yummy stew!!
  • Other bits and pieces include notepaper and pencil (to leave a note on your tent telling where you’ve gone), lightweight trowel; a rope – for pack hauling and safety on some tracks and a torch with batteries, loc-tight clean plastic bags for the map to keep it dry.

    Hints and Tips for Keeping the Overland Track Pristine
    1. ALWAYS take your rubbish with you. If you see any rubbish lying around, pick it up as well and carry it out. Please do this for the sake of this incredible place, for the animals and the purity of the water.

    2. Only use fuel stoves. No campfires are allowed at all. This will ensure that bushfires do not ravage this beautiful diverse country and will help keep it safe for other trekkers – there is no easy way out of this wilderness once you’re there – to be trapped with a bushfire would be devastating.

    3. Be a low impact, no trace camper – use the huts as much as possible and don’t disturb the vegetation and ground areas. There are lots and lots of minute vegetation and animals on the ground. Crouch down and watch for awhile, it’s amazing what you’ll find there.

    4. Keep to the tracks and yes, even go through the boggy bits (it’s good fun actually). By not making new tracks or widening the original track, the moss and heath of this area will be protected and undamaged. Part of a problem for this area is the spread of a root rot fungus called Phytophthora Cinnamomi which gives a disease and kills the moorland; heath and dry eucalypt plant communities. A way to avoid this is to stick to the tracks and keep the soles of your boots clean and where directed by signs, wash the mud from your boots and gaiters.

    5. When you need to go(!), dig a hole 15cms deep and bury all fecal waste and toilet paper. Don’t go near the waterways or camp sites. If you’re on the actual alpine areas (peat areas), consider carrying out your waste – digging a hole here will cut the roots of slow growing alpine plants and may even kill them off.

    Helpful Contact Numbers
    Field Centre
    Cradle Mountain – (03) 64 921-133
    Lake St Clair – (03) 62 891-115 or 891-172

    Tasmap Center
    Dept. of Environment and Planning – (03) 62 338-011

    GPO Box 44A, Hobart 7001

    Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service – (03) 62 338-011
    Tasmanian Wilderness Travel – (03) 63 344-442 (permits and buses to Cradle Mt.)