Author: JR

Puerto Vallarta Travel Guide – General Info

History
After World War II, several G.I.'s moved down to Vallarta, perhaps to recover from the affects of that engagement. Some set up businesses and some just retired, many to the north bank of the Rio Cuale which came to be known as "Gringo Gulch". Even before John Huston put Vallarta on the map with "The Night of the Iguana", it was a hideaway for the rich and notorious, who may have been driven from Acapulco by that resort's popularity with the masses.

Climate Year Round
The climate in the high season, November-May, is warm: 80 to 85°F, 27° to 29°C. After April and until about June or July it will become increasingly warmer, to about 90°F or 32°C, and more humid.

Around June the rains begin and if you like drama, this is for you. In the rainy season the humidity will increase during the day until the rain comes, usually in the late afternoon, which at once reduces the humidity and leaves a pleasant evening. But this is weather, so nothing is certain. Rainy season: June – October.

Water
SEAPAL (Local Water Board) have consistently exceeded World Health Organization criteria for drinking water. But, if you're really worried, plenty of your favorite bottled water is available.

Geography
Located on one of the largest bays in the world, Vallarta benefits from protection from hurricanes and large waves, although good surfing can be had at the northern part of the bay.

Accommodation
There are many large American style hotels here, not in town thank goodness. Since there is a height restriction for building in town, the older,cheaper ones are here. Anywhere from $15 – $60 US per night.
Budget-Hotels

Transport

Bus
Five pesos to almost everywhere, unless you go way out of town.
Example:
El Centro (the center of town) to Boca de Tomatlan (about 6 miles south) is 5.5 Pesos. No longer do you share your ride with live chickens, at least I haven't seen any lately. But you may have live entertainment, all for 5 pesos!

Taxi
(by area-zone) Local zone 30 Pesos, outside local area 38 – 60 Pesos. Before entering the taxi, ask the driver what the fare will be to your destination. Tips are not required, unless you feel it is warranted. Tips from drivers on where to eat etc. are not necessarily reliable (they will be getting a kickback).

Airport Taxi
These special taxis are only allowed to service from the Airport to Hotels and Condos, more expensive than regular ones. 80 – 95 Pesos per person, depending how far. Buy your ticket at the taxi ticket booths inside the airport.

Money
Check exchange rates here for the Peso to your currency of choice.

The Casa de Cambios will give you less than the bank but also less lines. The best way is to use your ATM card, plenty of locations.

Cheap Eats/Dining Out
See 'Vallarta-info-Prices'

Pubs and Clubs
See 'Vallarta-Insider's-Guide'

Arts Scene
Many Galleries in town with very well known artists. Many openings with music & free cocktails. See my 'Happenings' page, only runs during the season.

The Outdoors
There is so much to do I again refer to my "Excursions" pages – Bay. Beach or Land.

Sunday Evening
After sundown on Sunday families, groups of boys and separate groups of girls, dressed in their best, will promenade up and down the Malecon (seafront walk), the groups of young people will be making eyes at each other as they pass. There will be vendors selling anything from 'roasted corn on the cob' to 'brightly coloured windmills' and balloons.

Street Kids
You are certain to be accosted by young children selling "chiclets" and other things, some can be pretty pushy as well. Nearly all of these kids are being exploited by their parents or other adults nearby. We have, in Vallarta, support programs for these children in need. Please help by not giving them money or buying things from them, you will be helping them to stay off the streets and away from exploitation.

The Author
I was born and raised in London, England and went to the USA when I was 26. I have worked in so many different occupations I can't list them all. Photographer, Jeweler, Video Editor and Boat Captain are a few. I have been visiting and living here in Vallarta for over 27 years and will not make the mistake of leaving again.

Link – Vallarta-Info