Author: Lionel Messias

Chiang Mai, Northern Thailand – Visas

Because it’s incredibly easy and cheap to enter Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia from the North, this bit of information is vital. You will need it in Thailand. You already have a tourist visa…it’s valid for two months from the date of issue. This visa can be extended by one month in Thailand.

In Chiang Mai, go to the immigration office. The extension fee is 500 Baht. After this month expires it is still possible to re-apply for yet another extension (same fee). You get an “under consideration for X days” stamp endorsement, another one when you return (after crossing into Mynamar or Laos) after X days (no fee) and finally a “must leave country in X days” endorsement. This will give you approximately 30 days more.

To enter Laos you can get a visa at the border towns of Chiang Khong or Nong Khai, but not if you are American! You can also obtain a visa in Chiang Mai. In Chiang Khong – the more organised of the two towns, the best and cheapest hotel is the Namkhong Guest House which also has a reliable and trustworthy travel agency by the same name. From this hotel you can actually see the Laos town of Huai Sai across the Mae Khong River from where you travel onwards onto Luang Prabang in Laos.

Check out their website:

www.travel.to/namkhong,

Or email:

phayao98@hotmail.com

namkhong@chmai.loxinfo.co.th

However, if you decide to try the lesser used Nong Khai route into Laos, you can travel onwards directly to Vientiane, the Laos capital.

Mae Sai

Mae Sai
Thai-Mynamar border town

Either way it’s possible to extend your stay by 30 days every time you cross the border. From CM, the cheapest and fastest way is to travel on to Mae Sai on the Thai-Mynamar border by bus. When you reach the Mae Sai bus station, take a red Songtaew to the immigration office for 5 Baht. The office is located about 1 km from the border. After the passport check walk or take another Songtaew to the border. Pay $5 or 250 Baht at the Burmese immigration office. Check out the local market on the Burmese side (Tachilek). Also check out www.thaivisa.com