Author: Amy Bieganek

Minneapolis, Minnesota – March 2001


Life on Lyndale Avenue can be so much fun. Especially when you visit
Intermedia Arts (612-871-4444, 2822 Lyndale Ave). There is always something cool and unusual going on at this gallery, theater, stage. March is no exception.

Try the Young Artists’ Cabaret, on the last Tuesday of every month. Young Artists’ are invited to show off, whether their talent lies in music, spoken word, dance or even video. The best part is it’s free!

A lot of the events at Intermedia Arts are either free or very reasonable. The exhibition Perspective: Photographs by Participants in St. Stephen’s Shelter and Housing Program is sure to be eye candy. Last year the Housing Program provided cameras and photography classes to fifteen people in the housing program. The exhibition is the result of the participants photographs taken during the last year. Real pictures from real lives. $2 donations suggested.

Yoko is coming, Yoko is coming! Who cares? For those with a buck and
desire “to be seen”, the Walker Art Center is hosting Yoko Ono and her art starting March 10th. She’ll actually be in-house on the 10th. If you don’t care about Yoko but want to check out the Walker anyway, go on Thursdays, they’re free. A free sampling of films, talks, gallery tours, among other treats. You can stick around till 9pm and take in the cash bar that offers snacks and beverages.

Calhoun Square is probably ground zero for “Uptown”. Although I wouldn’t normally recommend going anywhere near, more less, inside a mall, Acoustic Sunrise Live just might be a good excuse. Famous Dave’s hosts this Sunday morning fun. From 11-12 on Sundays receive a free newspaper from Border’s books, and coffee and pastries from Famous Dave’s while relaxing to acoustic music played by some notable locals. On March 4th, Bill Deville from the local radio station Cities 97 hosts Dan Isreal and on March 11th Brad Meier takes the stage. Get there early, the first 25 people get a $5 Gift Certificate to the Mall.

The Doomed Dome
Home to the Minnesota Twins Baseball and Vikings Football, the Hubert H.
Humphrey Metrodome
(501 Chicago Ave) was opened to the public in April of 1982. Costing 68 million dollars to erect, it is the only air supported Dome in the Major League. Wow. I’m so impressed. These facts alone are enough to draw anyone to Minnesota just to witness this wonder of the world.

Since a Professional Sports Observation Ticket requires either your right arm or your first born, try inline skating around the Dome. Not outside, inside. Several days out of the week (when nothing more profitable is going on) the dome is open to the public and inline skaters. Round and around you can go. They will rent skates to you for $5. More info: 612-825-3663. You will have no trouble finding it, just go Downtown and look for the big marshmallow to the east.

After a night of skating a good place to stop for a cold one is Hubert’s Bar and Restaurant (612-332-6062, 601 Chicago Ave.). Hubert’s opened in 1984 and was undoubtedly named for the dome, but I couldn’t get the manager to admit it to me. The place is filled with sports memorabilia. The food is better than average bar food with a few veggie choices. Good Bloody Marys. They usually have two or three lunch specials and HH is from 3pm-8pm.

In our sister city St. Paul, we have a brand new stadium called the Xcel Energy Center. This beautiful stadium was heavily funded by the Minnesota electric Company Xcel Energy. Ahhhhhh. I guess I should mention that the reasoning behind the new stadium is due to the fact that Minnesota now boasts a Professional Hockey team, the Minnesota Wild.

But that’s not all, the venue will host over 140 events annually including; music, ice shows, circuses, conventions, high school tourneys, trade shows, high profile sporting events, and probably some things I don’t want to know about. There are four seating levels, all with great views. There is a Cigar Bar and Bistro on the 3rd Level, but don’t even try it, they won’t let you in.