Author: Jennifer Colvin

The Big Trip: Bike Touring Gear List



If you’re credit-card bike touring, travel is easy. All you have to bring is
a change of clothes, a tire repair kit, a toothbrush and your credit card to
pay for hotels and meals.

But when you’re traveling on a budget, it’s a bit
more complicated. In order to afford six months in Europe traveling by bike,
I knew I’d have to carry my own camping gear and spend most nights sleeping
under the stars, or the rain clouds, as the case may be.

My travel partner and I had to plan for freezing temperatures and rain as
well as hot summer weather. And since we had to tow everything up high
mountain passes, we had to pack light.

General Gear
One each: travel pack with removable day pack, sleeping bag and compression sack, Therma-Rest sleeping pad and chair, sleeping bag liner, Lexan wine glass (after all, this is a vacation), mug, spoon, Pack Towel, money belt, headlamp and batteries.

One to share: tent and ground cloth, stove and stand, fuel bottle, first aid kit, pot, lid and handle, plate and fork.

Clothing
One each: running shoes, sandals, cycling shoes, waterproof jacket, waterproof pants, fleece jacket, headband, gloves, cycling gloves, sun hat, fleece hat, running shorts, convertible pants, swimsuit, belt, short-sleeve bike jersey, arm and leg warmers, tank top, t-shirt, long-sleeve shirt and Superfeet insoles.

Two each: Smartwool socks, cycling shorts and undies.

Guy extra: shorts and pants.

Gal extra: sarong, short skirt, two sports bras and two regular bras.

Bike Gear
One each: bike, trailer, handle bar bag, seat bag, helmet, reflective triangle, saddle covers and cable lock.

One to share: flashing light, cyclocomputer, grease, oil, pedal wrench, allan wrenches and mini pump.

Other: three water bottles and three spare tires each; lots of patches and tire levers.

Miscellaneous Gear
One each: glasses and case, camera and case, extra shoelaces, book, pen and journal.

One to share: pack of cards, Lonely Plant guidebook, phrasebook, compass, sponge, general repair kit and wallet.

Other: clothespins and a whole bunch of film.

Cooking Gear
All in one bag: spatula, matches, bottle opener, multi-knife, iodine, sponge, sink stopper and spices.

Toiletries
All in one bag: floss, lip balm, toothbrushes, toothpaste, toenail clippers, Pur Touch hand gel, earplugs, comb, lotion, Dr. Brommer’s soap, mirror, sunscreen, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant and Vaseline.

Paperwork
Airline tickets, traveler’s checks, youth hostel card, insurance card, ATM card, Visa, American Express, passport, passport photos, address book, and copies of everything.