Author: Mike Jones

Soul Surfer in Europe #10: New York

June 9th
Thanks to the man above, I am leaving New York with my luggage. I went and did some carpentry work and made some cash and, with the help of my family, I am getting a bus ticket to Indiana where I will stay with my grandmother until the 19th then it’s on another two day bus trip to Wyoming where I will spend the remainder of the summer working at Yellowstone.

I think after the summer I will catch a flight back to Amsterdam for the November “Cannabis Cup”, or maybe go to Costa Rica….who knows! If you ever get a chance, come visit western New York. It reminds me of the wine valley of California; there are a lot of vineyards here.

Yesterday I rode with a friend to finish the job he started and we stopped by a scenic overlook where you could see Canada in the distance and it overlooked Lake Erie. We got back in the truck and drove to the job, but on the way we drove through the Amish country. It’s amazing a religion has lasted that long with the same traditions and it was neat seeing how they live. Every Amish house is easy to spot with its blue door and the curtains drawn from corner to corner. We drove by a place where the Amish were building what looked like a barn and there must have been 10 guys on the roof working. When they work they all work together.

Well, I am off to Indiana, my home away from home. I can’t wait to see my new born daughter Kelcee. It’s just too bad I won’t have that much time with her before I leave for Yellowstone.