Author: Brandon Dane

Terrorism & Costa Rica

This IS a travel story, I promise. My roommate’s boyfriend called my house and said, in Spanish, “Have you seen the news? Put it on CNN!” So, I did. What I saw disturbed me beyond belief. The Twin Towers were destroyed. I was snuggled in my house drinking a Pilsen in Costa Rica. After the first hour or so of watching the whole thing I had to start drinking more, and then I started calling people back in The World: my Wall Street friends, my parents, my brother, anybody that I knew. I needed to talk to somebody.

In World War II they talked about “waking the sleeping giant” after Pearl Harbor. Yes, it is true. For all of you that are not from the United States: I know we seem sort of lax and I know we seem to act sort of superior, and I know we are arrogant, but every American feels that this is a personal affront. In the movie Rudy, the head coach of Notre Dame says: “Nobody comes into our house and pushes us around.”
That’s how I feel. Really, that’s how I feel.

Now, back to travel. I am sure that you can get a cheap flight here. San Jose is the same as it always is except ‘taint (that’s Southern for “there isn’t”) nobody (or “anybody”) here.

Everything, however, is still open and running smoothly. I was at the U.S. Embassy the other day, and they seem to be working smoothly. I encourage you all to come. It might be the safest place that you could be; there is nothing here worth blowing up.

I have written some extensive articles on gambling in CR.

That’s it, kids. I have no more steam. WILL WRITE FOR BEER. Ciao!

Costa Rica Travel Guide