Author: Anthony Robson

Brazil’s Paradise Island – Fernando de Nornha

The archipelago of Fernando de Nornha is made up of 21 Islands – 1 inhabited larger island and 20 other non inhabited islands. It is an eco friendly destination with only 420 tourists permitted on the island per day. You pay a daily tax for the privilege of staying here – but it is well worth while for 4 or 5 days! Whether you are just looking for the best beaches in Brazil to soak up the sun, or the adrenalin rush of huge waves for surfing, this has to be the hidden treasure to visit.

Rock Pool

Rock Pool

Sea turtles, dolphins, sharks, whales, octopus, many species of tropical fish are all to be found here. You can take a ‘baptism course’ in Scuba diving and head down into the depths of the most colourful and vibrant underwater wildlife scene you are ever likely to experience.

Or you can simply float in one of the natural rock pools with your head down and your snorkel up, to see microcosmic beauty. Sunblock is banned from the rock pools to preserve the wildlife there, but as you are only permitted to snorkel in them for 25 minutes, this shouldn’t be a problem.

Trekking around the Island isn’t too strenuous are time consuming as it is only 17km2 but there are many amazing sights to behold – stunning beaches, glorious sunsets, indigenous flora and fauna species. Boat rides around the other islands as well as other tours can be taken including deep sea fishing, scuba diving, tow diving are all part of the fun of de Noronha.

Scuba Diving

Scuba Diving

The guys are www.recifeguide.wordpress.com are a great source of information on the tours and accommodation to be found on the Island as well as Recife and the rest of the Pernambuco state. They made my stay there the most enjoyable experience I have ever had – I really cannot thank them enough.

What more can I say other than – “when can I go back?”