Author: JoAnna Haugen

All-Inclusive Resorts and Indie Travel: Is It Possible?

If you’re a fan of BootsnAll, you probably consider yourself an independent traveler. Chances are you prefer to pull on a backpack and take off on a moment’s notice versus making detailed plans about where you’ll stay for the duration of your travels. The idea of staying in a place where everything – food, accommodations, activities – are part of the package may even turn you off.

In fact, you’re probably wondering what place all-inclusive resorts even have on a website that encourages people to take charge of their travel destinies.

Trust me, I hear you.

But I’ve also had the chance to stay at and visit several all-inclusive resorts over the years – primarily in Huatulco, Mexico – and I’ve learned a few things about myself as a traveler and about choosing an all-in-one vacation experience.

The main thing I’ve learned? All-inclusives aren’t all bad, and they’re definitely the right option for some people.

Interested in learning more? Here are a few pros and cons to consider if you think an all-inclusive resort might be in your future.

PRO: No need to worry about the details.

Grand Velas Nuevo Vallarta. Nayarit. Mexico.

Stay at an all-inclusive resort and you’ve found the epitome of the stress-free getaway. The beauty of an all-inclusive is that someone else has taken care of everything for you – dining, accommodations, cleaning.

Your resort will have countless dining options to choose from, including buffets, casual cafes, and high-end restaurants, and you don’t have to count out your change to see if you can afford them. Plan to leave your bed sheets a tangled mess in the morning because someone else will remake the bed for you while you hit the beach or explore the area.

Many all-inclusives also offer at least limited services and activities, such as beach access and snorkel gear. And you can usually get all the answers with a single phone call if you have questions about what is included in your stay, which restaurants are open, or how to sign up for tennis lessons.

CON: All-inclusive doesn’t necessarily mean all-inclusive.

Read the fine print carefully before handing over your credit card at an all-inclusive resort. At some all-inclusive resorts, alcoholic beverages, spa services, and some activities may have an additional cost. Also, don’t forget all the people who make your all-inclusive stay possible. Porters, waiters, and housekeeping staff should be tipped accordingly.

PRO: On-site help is available.

Help

One of the luxuries of staying at an all-inclusive resort is having access to a concierge or activities staff member. These people can help you choose the best off-site excursions that match your interests and offer tips for when and how to get where you want to go. No need to pick up a guidebook or buy a map when someone else can provide you with that information.

CON: On-site help may have ulterior motives.

Though I recently spoke with an on-ship cruise travel guide who helps advise passengers of things to do other than take planned shore excursions, some on-site activities staff or concierge may get a kickback if they convince you to take a tour with certain companies or shop in certain stores. Be wary of these people if they can only offer suggestions about places packaged in glossy brochures and have no recommendations for small, family-owned shops without marketing budgets.

PRO: Everything is easily accessible.

Grand Velas Nuevo Vallarta. Nayarit. Mexico.

It is completely possible to roll out of bed in the morning and spend your entire day at an all-inclusive resort. Everything you need – food, activities, amenities, and possibly even medical care and shopping – is on-site and easily accessible. You don’t have to leave the resort property for your entire vacation if you don’t want to.

CON: You feel like you can’t – or shouldn’t – leave.

On the flip side, that same thing that can been as a positive can also turn out to be a negative. You paid a good chunk of change for your all-inclusive vacation, and you may feel guilty if you leave it or don’t take advantage of all of its services.

Here’s the thing: If something doesn’t interest you, don’t feel the need to participate in it just because you paid for it. Just because all your food and drink is included, that doesn’t mean you can’t and shouldn’t venture out of your resort to check out the nearest town or city and get some local meals every now and then. 

Many people who never leave their resort don’t get the chance to explore the local culture and people beyond the confines of their resort. Don’t be one of these people – you can have the best of both worlds by getting out and exploring when you feel like it and just chilling and lounging around when you want to do that.

PRO: All-inclusive resorts help stimulate the local economy.

Food

When an all-inclusive resort moves into town, chances are many local people will be hired as wait staff, porters, or housekeepers. In the best case scenario, these businesses will provide training and incentive for young people to stay in their hometowns instead of moving away for school and work. When I visited Huatulco, I was excited to note that not only were locals hired to work at the all-inclusive resorts, but a college was built for people interested in studying hospitality. In addition, an extensive array of public schools and medical facilities were built when the resorts were developed – all of which created even more jobs in the area.

CON: All-inclusives may force local businesses to close.

How can small mom-and-pop inns and cafes compare with the likes of oversized all-inclusive resorts? In many cases, they can’t. Whereas all-inclusives may be able to offer discounted dining and accommodations due to the simple rules of economics, local businesses work on a much smaller scale and can’t bulk their costs the way large resorts can.

Also, some international all-inclusive chains might bring in their own employees from outside the area, thus pushing locals to the side by not training or hiring them to work on the property. This can have an adverse affect on the area by encouraging locals to leave in order to find work, which in turn degrades the culture of the local community.

All-inclusives come in all shapes and sizes, so do your homework and stay at one that you feel comfortable giving your money to. There are plenty that care about and do things to help stimulate the local economy and people.

PRO: They’re cheap.

Velas Vallarta Hotel. Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, MX.

When you consider the total amount you’ve spent to stay at an all-inclusive resort and itemize it down to every meal you eat, every service you receive, and every night you stay, you’ll probably be surprised by how inexpensive the whole package really is.

The average high-end hotel cost is well over $100 each night, so the savings you receive by combining accommodations, meals, and activities together at an all-inclusive resort can be stunning. There are often flight packages that go along with these trips, too, so you really can get a bargain, especially if you plan in advance or are keeping an eye on last minute travel deals. Not a bad way to travel if you’re strapped for cash.

CON: We become wasteful.

Because everything is paid for up front, people often become wasteful at all-inclusive resorts. Instead of choosing one dessert, we grab a plateful so that we can sample them all. We’ll try the complimentary bars of soap and wear the in-room bathrobe for a few hours because we paid for them (even though the soap will be discarded at the end of our stay and the bathrobe will need to be washed). All-inclusive resorts allow us to do and try things we normally wouldn’t, but as a result it’s easy to become overzealous and wasteful without even thinking about it.

PRO: It’s the perfect beginning and/or ending to your long-term trip.

All inclusive 2

It all comes back to long-term travel here on BootsnAll, and if you’ve never been on a long trip, you may not be aware of how exhausting this type of travel can be.

When you’re getting ready to embark on a big trip, you have most likely been planning for quite a while, and if you are doing things like quitting your job, selling lots of your stuff, and/or getting rid of your housing, then it’s probably been a stressful and hectic time. Why not ease into your trip by planning a nice, easy, relaxing getaway at an all-inclusive to kick things off, then move on from there?

On the flip side, by the time the end of your trip comes, especially if you’ve been traveling on a tight budget, you’re going to be tired of being on the road (you will, trust us!), and integrating back into a normal life isn’t always easy. Before coming back home, you may want to schedule a nice week of relaxation and down time at the very end of your trip.

Have you ever been to an all-inclusive resort? What was your experience like? Comment below to share your thoughts.

Read more about all-inclusive travel vs going independently:

Photo credits: Vox Efx, Vox EfxVelas Vallarta, Grand Velas Puerto Vallarta, Grand Velas Puerto Vallarta, Grand Velas Puerto Vallarta