Author: Bill H Cooper

The Best Family Campgrounds in the U.S.

If your family has not been camping, then you don’t know what you’re missing.  Camping, whether in a tent or RV, is a fantastic way to bond with your family.

There are thousands of great campgrounds in the USA that come in all types and sizes to meet every campers needs.  You can rough it in a tent, or setup an RV with full hookups, cable TV and free WiFi.  Yes, I said WiFi.  Campgrounds are more like resorts these days with the same amenities of your major hotels like pools, courts, workout rooms, games and even sites with private hot tubes. Many family-oriented campgrounds offer weekend events like outdoor movies, tie-dyeing, fireworks and s’more parties.

Some folks come just to enjoy the campground experience and others are there because of the destination. My family has camped everywhere from the beaches of North Carolina; Hersey, Pennsylvania; Meteor Crater in Arizona; Washington DC; and the San Fransisco area. One of our most memorable experiences was when we stayed in Amish Country outside Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The campground was just outside of a working Amish farm. One morning we woke to a knock at our door and an Amish family with their horse and buggy full of homemade pies. The smell was incredible, so we decided to purchase what turned out to be the most wonderful blueberry pie we have ever eaten. Just thinking about that pie makes me wish we were there again. Some of our most memorable life experiences happened when we were camping in our RV.

Finding the right campgrounds is easier than ever. My family has put together a great list of our Top 10 Family Campgrounds in the USA.  We know there are lots of great campgrounds, but these are our most memorable.

Walt Disney World Orlando – The Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort

disn

Disney World is not only a great place to vacation, but it also a great place to camp with your family. This is our most favorite campground with 750 acres full of pine trees and lots of wild life. The park is located within the Disney World grounds with full access to Disney transportation, onsite dining, swimming pool and other activities. Pets are also welcome within the campground.

Hershey, Pennsylvania – Hershey Highmeadow Campground

If you like chocolate, then you have to visit Hershey, Pennsylvania. We have also included this destination in our Family Vacation section. This top 10 listing is for the Hershey Highmeadow Campground. The campground has 55 acres of nature and is located just down the road from the Hershey amusement park. There are lots of activities including 2 pools, game room, playground and more.

Washington DC – Cherry Hill Park

Cherry Hill Park is actually located in College Park, Maryland just north of Washington DC. This is the best park if you’re looking to visit Washington DC. The park has a bus stop with access to the nearest Metro station. You can get from the park to Washington DC within about 30 minutes. The park also has a great family swimming pool with other activities available.

Destin, Florida – Camping On The Gulf

beach

If you want a campground right on the beach, and I mean right on the beach, then you should try Camping On The Gulf in Destin, Florida. The park has several sites within feet of the crystal clear waters of Destin. The park also has 2 outdoor pools, 1 indoor pool, a game room and an activity center. The campsites are a bit pricey, but its one of the only campgrounds we’ve seen right on the ocean.

South Padre Island, Texas – KOA Campground

We are partial to Texas and we love South Padre Island. We have stayed several time at the KOA campground in South Padre Island. Its located right next to the bay with access to fishing, a great seafood restaurant called Pier 19, and the beach is only a short drive away. The park is clean and well managed with a real family feel.

Petoskey, Michigan – Petoskey KOA Campground

Being from the south, we had never heard of Petoskey, MI. This is a great little town just off of Lake Michigan with easy driving access to Mackinac Island. The Petoskey KOA won the 2009 KOA President’s Award and Founders Award for service. This is a great place to camp with your family.

Yellowstone National Park – Grizzly RV Park

yellw

Yellowstone is our top National Park in the USA. The park is home to a number of wild animals including black bear which we saw on our last visit. Grizzly RV Park is located in West Yellowstone, Montana. It is bordered on two sides by the Gallatin National Forest making for a wonderful nature feel. The park also has a full game room that is free for kids.

Ronks, Pennsylvania – Flory’s Cottages & Camping

Ronks is in the heart of Amish Country just outside Bird in Hand. Yes, these are the names of the towns. There is even an Intercourse, PA. Names aside, this is beautiful country. The reason we chose Flory’s is that the campground is adjacent to an active Amish farm. One morning, we were greeted by an Amish family selling the most wonderful homemade pies from the back of their Amish buggy.

Vicksburg, Mississippi – Askew’s Landing Campground

If you are looking for a place that is a bit rustic but with lots of history, you must visit Askew’s Landing Campground just outside Vicksburg, Mississippi. They have 40 full hook-up sites with many located right in the middle of a beautiful green field. You really feel like you’re camping as you park your RV on grass with no city sounds for miles. The property used to be Bridgeport Plantation and the site of several Civil War battles. It is now listed as a Historical Landmark.

Shady Cove, Oregon – Rogue River RV Park

orcamp

Shady Cove is in southern Oregon about 52 miles from Crater Lake. We just happen to pull into this park looking for a place where we could easily drive to Crater Lake. Wow, were we pleasantly surprised. The Rogue River flows right next to the park with salmon and steelhead fishing at your door step. As a fisherman, this was one of the most exciting places to stay for me.

Photos by: Darren Wittko, qnr-away for a while, parks_traveler, meganpru