Author: Rachel Denning

6 Jolly Reasons to Spend Christmas in Alaska

With Christmas literally right around the corner, maybe you’re tired of the never-ending holiday “to do” list.  Do you ever dream of just getting away to a place where your troubles will be an afterthought, so you can have  a merry little Christmas that’s actually relaxing, joyful, and rejuvenating. If you’re looking for a place to spend your winter or Christmas break, you should consider a trip to the Last Frontier– Alaska.

Wild, unbroken, exotic, and wintry, Alaska provides the perfect ambiance for the “most wonderful time of the year.”

Here are six reasons to spend Christmas in Alaska:

I’m dreaming of a white Christmas

As you have written out and sent each Christmas card, perhaps you were dreaming of that snow white Christmas, just like the ones you used to know, with glistening white trees and the sound of sleigh bells in the snow.

If you’re dreaming of a white Christmas, there’s no place you’re more likely to find it than in Alaska. Powdery carpets of snow twinkle like little stars as they reflect the sunlight. Christmas trees cover the landscape, each cloaked in their own shawl of snow.

Children laugh as they play, people pass with a smile, the snow crunches beneath your feet, and the streets are lined with lights that sparkle in the snow.

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire

There’s nothing more Alaskan than a roaring fire in the wood-burning stove on a frosty winter day. Wisps of smoke swirl toward the sky from chimney tops, stately snow covered mountains span the horizon. The snowflakes are softly falling, piling up to the window sill. It’s a wonderland of snow. A beautiful sight, you’re happy tonight.

The weather outside is frightful, but the fire is sooo delightful. Inside you’re snug as a bug, drinking egg nog, with marshmallows for toasting and chestnuts for roasting. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Jack Frost nipping at my nose

A day outdoors in the crisp, nippy air brings color to your cheeks. Your breath condenses with each exhalation. It’s silent and still, except for the snow crunching beneath your feet. You catch flakes on your tongue, and in the meadow you can build a snowman.

The clean, brisk air and the bright sunshine bring life and invigoration. Everywhere you go, folks are dressed up like eskimos.

Baby, it’s cold outside, but later on you can conspire and dream by the fire to face unafraid the plans that you’ve made.

Silent night

Winter in Alaska provides tranquil nights and peaceful twilight mornings. The world in solemn stillness lay, stars shining brightly, perfect for you gazing pleasure. Peace on earth, goodwill toward mankind.

And when all is clear, all is bright, the Northern Lights will appear ‘upon a cold winter’s night.’

The ‘midnight clear’ of Alaska supplies the perfect opportunity to ponder on the significance of being, have a cup of cheer, cuddle by a fire with the one you love, sing a few Christmas carols, and sleep in heavenly peace.

O Christmas tree

Oh Christmas tree, how lovely are your evergreen branches.

And ahhh, what about the smell of that fresh pine? If you’re a sucker for a real tree, you can even chop your own- as in olden days, happy golden days of yore- in the ‘bush’ of Alaska, a place that still has a frontier. Family and friends gather round the tree, adorned with tinsel and trinkets. Presents are nestled below, waiting for that magical morning.

Hang a shining star upon the highest bow…

Dashing through the snow

Whether it’s sledding or snow machining with the kids, hitting the slopes via skis or snowboard, cross-country skiing, or just hiking through the trees, there are ample opportunities, and plenty of open spaces, for you to ‘dash through the snow’ – even in a one horse open sleigh.

O’r the fields you’ll go, laughing all the way. Your spirits will be bright, what fun it is to laugh and play.

If you want to get away and love the traditional Christmas scene – white snow, green pine, warm fire, hot cocoa and egg nog – then oh by golly have a holly, jolly Christmas this year in Alaska.

Rachel Denning is the (mostly) sane mother of five sweet children and wife to one wonderful husband. The seven of them travel nomadically around the world together and love it! Be sure to follow their adventures and learn the art of traveling with kids by visiting www.DiscoverShareInspire.com

Photos by TJ Cowboy, finstre, bcwoodBeverly & Pack, heritage futures, paul+photos=moody