Author: BootsnAll Staff

Top Places to See in Beijing

Beijing, China’s capital, proudly boasts a large number of world-famous tourist attractions, including the dramatic Great Wall of China, the enigmatic Forbidden City, the vast Tiananmen Square, the graceful Temple of Heaven, the enchanting Summer Palace, and the mysterious Ming Tombs, etc. The long history of over 3,000 years has bequeathed many world heritage sites to the international city. A tour to Beijing is bound to be an unforgettable travel experience. Following is a brief introduction to the most famous attractions in Beijing.

The Great Wall of China

The Great Wall of China, originally built in the Warring States Period, is an inspiring array of earthen and stone fortifications in North China. The Great Wall, which is roughly 6,700 kilometers long, zigzags through towering mountains and emerges like an esteemed dragon. It was honored as a World Cultural Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1987. Now, the Great Wall constitutes the most recognizable symbol of China.

The Forbidden City

The Forbidden City, originally built in 1420 during the Ming Dynasty, marks the very center of Beijing City. Serving as the imperial palace of the Ming and Qing dynasties, the Forbidden City is the largest, best-preserved wooden-structure ancient architectural complex in the world. It was proudly inscribed on the World Cultural Heritage list by UNESCO in 1987.

The Temple of Heaven

The Temple of Heaven, originally built during the Ming Dynasty, was used to be the sacred place where the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties offered sacrifice to Heaven and prayed for good harvest. It is a magnificent building covering a total area of 2,720,000 square meters. In 1998, the Temple of Heaven was honored as a World Cultural Heritage site by UNESCO.

Summer Palace

Summer Palace, nestled in Haidian District of Beijing, is widely known as the largest, best-preserved royal garden in China. The intoxicating Summer Palace, elaborately designed on the basis of the Kunming Lake and the Longevity Hill, covers roughly 2,900,000 square meters and holds many grand ancient buildings and many enticing natural scenic sites.

Ming Tombs

Ming Tombs was built from 1409 to 1644 during the Ming Dynasty. Situated at the Tianshou Hill in the Changping District of Beijing, Ming Tombs is the burial site of 13 emperors of the Ming Dynasty. A visit to the Ming Tombs through the Sacred Road will thrill every tourist.

The other famous attractions in Beijing include the Tiananmen Square, the National Museum of China, Fragrant Hills Park, Beihai Park, Olympic Park, Prince Gong’s Mansion, Lama Temple, Five Pagoda Temple, and Beijing Ancient Observatory. You won’t believe what a magnificent city Beijing is until you see it with your own eyes. Beijing is a perfect destination for every traveler to learn more about China’s amazing culture.

Photos by: Dan Zen, Richard Fisher, Jonathan Tommy, David Stanley, Drnantu