- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
Accommodation Travel Articles
There is much more to accommodation options than hotels and hostels (and there are many misconceptions about hostels . Learn more about camping, Couchsurfing, WWOOF’ing, homestays, house-sitting, and more in the following pages.
- Re-realizing the Dream: How to “Fix” Couchsurfing
- In this follow-up to his widely shared article on the fall of Couchsurfing, veteran host and surfer Nithin Coca puts forth his plan to save Couchsurfing, through transparency, empowerment, and, most importantly, a reassertion and expansion of the ideals that spurred Couchsurfing's initial growth.
- The End of a Dream: Couchsurfing’s Fall
- A veteran host and surfer explains how privatization, rapid membership growth, and safety issues make Couchsurfing no longer a slam dunk for independent travelers.
- Hostels – A Haven for Single Travelers
- If you’re single and it’s bumming you out, there is a place Netanya Stutz recommends you pack your bag and venture to, where being single is the norm, and where social status, employment status, and ego are pushed aside, allowing your true self to come out and play.
- Renting on Your Round the World Trip
- Hostels, hotels, and guesthouses aren't the only accommodation options for long-term travelers. Adam Seper is here to point out the benefits of renting during your round the world trip.
- Voluntary Vacation: Hostel Hopping in Guatemala
- Many of us dream of taking a year off to travel in exotic locales and live the life of a vagabond, and Jonathon Engels gives tips on how to do just that by volunteering at hostels all around Guatemala.
- A Cheap Accommodation Alternative for the London Olympics
- Hotel rooms are expensive in London for this summer's Olympics, but there is an alternative. Camping at the Games provides a gold medal experience at bronze medal prices.
- 10 Ways to Use CouchSurfing: A Multi-Tool for the Indie Traveler
- Everyone has heard of CouchSurfing by now, but is everyone making the most of it? Julie Dupuis shares tips that go beyond the usual slumber party.
- 9 of the Coolest Art Hotels in the World
- Hanging a painting on the wall is simple. Turning an entire hotel room into a work of art, however, is less common. Isabel Eva Bohrer shares 9 of the coolest art hotels in the world.
- 7 Hotels With a Crazy History
- We've all heard of the occasional apartment building being turned into a hotel, but what about churches, palaces and libraries? From prisons to pieces of old airplanes, Isabel Eva Bohrer shares seven accommodations with a crazy history.
- 20 Luxurious Wineries and Wine Hotels Where You Can Stay the Night
- Isabel Eva Bohrer explores 20 luxurious wineries and wine hotels that have opened their doors for you to experience their creations to the fullest.