- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
Accommodation Travel Articles
There is much more to accommodation options than hotels and hostels (and there are many misconceptions about hostels . Learn more about camping, Couchsurfing, WWOOF’ing, homestays, house-sitting, and more in the following pages.
- 15 Things That Can Make a Hostel Great
- As a backpacker, hostels are your home away from home. Conni Biesalski fills you in on the must-haves of a good hostel so you know what to look for.
- All-Inclusive Resorts and Indie Travel: Is It Possible?
- Have you ever been tempted by an all-inclusive vacation package but afraid you'd lose your independent traveler cred if you went on a trip like that? This article by JoAnna Haugen may help you see that while there are some drawbacks to vacation packages, there are some serious perks, too - even for indie travelers.
- Lost Roots: The Failure of For-Profit Couchsurfing
- Last month, news broke that Couchsurfing, the web's largest travel social network, had its CEO step down, the latest in a long line of setbacks for the company. In this article, longtime Couchsurfer Nithin Coca explores how an idea with so much promise lost its foundation – its member-build base – leading to its present day downfall.
- Why a Home Exchange is a Great Indie Travel Experience
- When Margaret Foley and her family began traveling using home exchanges, they discovered that nothing about home life is universal.
- 19 Hosteling Resources
- Hosteling might be a bit confusing or even intimidating if you've never done it before. This fantastic collection of articles will tell you all you need to know before you check into a hostel dorm room for the first time.
- How to Find the Perfect Vacation Rental
- A vacation rental can be the ideal way to get to know a new area and culture, but you've heard the nightmare stories. Maureen Kennedy has some ideas and tips to make sure you get what you expected on your vacation.
- Why You Should Hostel with Your Family
- Hosteling is not just for the young gap-year traveler anymore. Jennifer Miller shows families how to choose a hostel, what to pack, how to make the most of the experience, and maybe even score a private room. (Hint: have more kids!)
- 8 Things that Separate Great Hostels from Average Hostels
- Hostels come in all shapes and sizes with varying amenities. After a year of round-the-world travel, Adam Seper is comfortable declaring which 8 amenities separate the great hostels from the so-so hostels.
- Do You Want to Open Your Own Hostel?
- Opening a hostel is not an uncommon dream among travelers who return from a trip around the world, but is the dream the same as the reality? After turning a parking lot into a 132 bed hostel in Kyoto, Japan, Nobu Tabata speaks to Jo Fitzsimons about the highs and lows of the hostel business.
- What Couchsurfing Meant to Me
- Couchsurfing has lost its mojo. It can get it back, but not until after we know what it was in the first place, and how to design for human experience.