- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
History Travel Articles
The history of a region, country, or city helps us learn about life in the present. History shapes a destination, and the following articles will help you learn about a place before visiting, giving you ideas for your trip and feel for what the vibe will be like.
- 13 Travel Horror Stories and Where They Took Place
- Have you been avoiding travel-related horror flicks or their settings? Even if these 13 movies are scream worthy for the silver screen, it would appear there are no tangible reasons to avoid the places where they took place.
- 9 Famous Adventurers to Inspire Your Travels
- Adam Seper profiles famous adventurers who explored the world before Twitter, Facebook, Google and other modern technology made it as easy as it is today.
- Plan a Trip Around Medieval Castles
- People plan trips around many activities: food, hiking, biking, extreme sports, and religious festivals, to name a few. Many people plan RTW travel around historical sites , a good way to understand the history of the places visited and and learn about bygone eras. Historical sites can mean many different things. But if you’re looking […]
- In the Shadow of Petra, Wadi Rum Beckons
- Visitors to Jordan come chiefly for Petra, the vaunted ancient city that had become a forgotten outpost until re-discovered in the 19th Century. Many have heard of Wadi Rum, the expansive mountain desert in the south of Jordan, but few have stayed there overnight to explore its wonders and experience the Bedouin culture. S. Michael Scadron illustrates how Wadi Rum beckons us, not only because of its natural beauty, but also for the richness of its history and cultural heritage.
- 15 of the Best Small, Quirky, and Unusual Museums in the US
- From a frozen-in-time apothecary to a surprisingly fascinating homage to flour, Sara Gates recommends a selection of 15 smaller, quirkier American alternatives to the traditional museum-going experience.
- Civil War Sites in Norfolk, Virginia
- The Civil War played an important role in the Norfolk's history as Roy A. Barnes found out using the city's newest form of transport as well as his newest pair of shoes.
- 10 Lesser Known Natural Wonders of the World
- Well-known wonders like the Grand Canyon or Great Barrier Reef offer unparalleled natural beauty, but Greg Banecker introduces you to ten lesser-known places on our planet whose sublime allure and ecological importance just might earn them the title of 'New Seven Natural Wonder' of the world.
- 7 Hotels With a Crazy History
- We've all heard of the occasional apartment building being turned into a hotel, but what about churches, palaces and libraries? From prisons to pieces of old airplanes, Isabel Eva Bohrer shares seven accommodations with a crazy history.
- Archaeological Anomalies in Peru
- History books tells us one story about our past, but archaeological evidence present a whole new story. Richard Oldale explores Peru and digs up six historic sites that don't fit with what we are told.
- 7 Prehistoric Sights You’ve Probably Never Heard Of
- From the “fat ladies” of Malta to bubbling, sacred waters in Burgundy, Anne Supsic explores seven unsung prehistoric wonders.