- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
History Travel Articles
The history of a region, country, or city helps us learn about life in the present. History shapes a destination, and the following articles will help you learn about a place before visiting, giving you ideas for your trip and feel for what the vibe will be like.
- Visiting World’s Fairs: 11 Museums and Monuments that Take Us Back to the Future
- World's Fairs are designed as windows into the future, but memorable events have left a few monuments to the past. Matthew Stone highlights 12 famous buildings, from Knoxville to Paris, left over from World’s Fairs.
- Déjà vu and Legends in the Castles of North Wales
- Roy A. Barnes explored some of the 500 castles situated in a land the size of Massachusetts, finding plenty of history and even some chills.
- 9 Greek Archaeological Sites That Will Leave You Breathless
- From the early Antiquity to the Modern Age, Greece offers a cornucopia of unique travel experiences to whet the sophisticated visitor's appetite. Natali Lekka offers nine archaeological sites not to miss.
- 11 World War II Sights to Visit in England and France
- It has been more than 70 years since the start of World War II, but tourists continue to visit war-related sights in Europe. Travel writer David Stewart White reviews a handful of important World War II venues in England and France.
- Living History for the World Traveler
- History should be more than the class you slept through in high school. Autumn Birt compiles a list of Living History museums throughout the world that will bring the past alive in a way no teacher ever could.
- The Duke of Naxos – Greece
- History took a new turn on the Greek island of Naxos 800 years ago, as a Venetian diplomat, Marco Sanudo, in 1207 captured Naxos, along with other Cycladic islands, and turned them into a Duchy - hardly an anniversary that called for a celebration.
- Transylvania Dracula Tour
- Now for a Transylvania Dracula Tour – of course there are many tour operators in Romania that offer six - ten day travel tours of Romania that includes a visit or a stay at Count Dracula's Bran castle. Tour operators tout the site as the home of Count Dracula as written in Briam Stoker's novel – just to add a bit of fright to the participants of the tour. .
- Eight Great Historic U.S. Homes That You Can Visit
- Unimaginable luxury. Famous moments and fearful events. Whether you’re an American history buff, romantic sightseer or reluctant student, touring any of these “Eight Great U.S. Historic Homes” while in their cities is worth the time.
- World Cup Host Countries: 1930-2010
- The World Cup may be about sports, but it's also a chance to join BootsnAll writer Jessica Spiegel for a virtual tour of all the countries that have played host to this historic tournament since its inception back in 1930, including memorable moments from each year.
- 10 Best Roman Ruins Outside of Rome
- Visiting Roman ruins in Rome is a no-brainer, but Jeanine Barone recommends some fascinating antiquities in lands beyond the capital of their former empire.