- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
History Travel Articles
The history of a region, country, or city helps us learn about life in the present. History shapes a destination, and the following articles will help you learn about a place before visiting, giving you ideas for your trip and feel for what the vibe will be like.
- 10 Best Roman Ruins Outside of Rome
- Visiting Roman ruins in Rome is a no-brainer, but Jeanine Barone recommends some fascinating antiquities in lands beyond the capital of their former empire.
- 5 Places to Rediscover the Golden Age of Piracy
- Somali pirates and Halloween pirates seem to get all the press these days, but there is a rich history out there of the real thing. Steve Bramucci takes us to five places where pirate tourism is easy to find.
- 7 Great Castles That Are Not in Europe
- When you think of castles it's natural to first think of Europe, but it turns out the rest of the world has its fair share too. Andy Hayes has uncovered 7 of the finest from everywhere but Europe.
- Six of the Least Visited Ruins in the World
- The ancient world is filled with fascinating ruins, but some are nearly ignored for a variety of reasons. Cherrye Moore points out six interesting ones that are worth knowing about.
- Ten Impressive Palaces to Visit
- When you think of a palace, it's easy to get a mental picture of some giant ornate mansion, but Deanna Hyland demonstrates that they come in all shapes and sizes around the world.
- Angels & Demons Secret Vatican Tour
- Fans of Angels & Demons may not know that there is a "secret" tour of the Vatican. Debi Lander was lucky enough to experience it, and she shares her experience with us here.
- Eleven Most Beautiful Cathedrals in Europe
- Europe is loaded with historic cathedrals of all shapes and sizes. Deanna Hyland has gathered together the 11 most interesting and beautiful among them.
- The 12 Most Beautiful Castles in Europe
- Almost every corner of Europe has its fair share of castles, but some are far nicer than others. Cristina Puscas rates the 12 most beautiful of them all.
- New vs. Old: York, Zealand, Delhi, Jersey, and more
- BootsnAll looks into the stories behind why many places are named the "new" version of an old place.
- Original Locations of 15 Mega-Chains
- BootsnAll takes a retail and fast food tour to visit the original locations of 15 of the most familiar chains in the world.