- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
How I Travel Travel Articles
From TV star Anthony Bourdain to movie star Andrew McCarthy to Lonely Planet founder Tony Wheeler, find out how these and 41 others travel in our popular interview series.
- To Plan or Not to Plan
- After conducting 20 interviews with actors, athletes, musicians, writers and various other fascinating vagabonds, we're taking a look back at some of our favorite answers to the question “Do you like to have an itinerary and some research under your belt when you visit a foreign country?” Hopefully it provides interesting food for thought as you set off on your own journeys.
- How I Travel: Andrew McCarthy
- Andrew McCarthy's inner vagabond wasn't satisfied with a successful career as an actor and director - so when he met National Geographic Traveler's editor Keith Bellows at a party many years ago, he coaxed Bellows into letting him write for the magazine. Today, he's a National Geographic Traveler contributing editor and an award-winning travel writer - and we're pleased to feature him this week on How I Travel.
- How I Travel: Tony Wheeler
- It could easily be argued that Tony Wheeler is in the running for ‘Most Influential Traveler Alive.’ In 1972 he and his wife Maureen co-founded Lonely Planet—now the largest guidebook publisher in the world. Before Lonely Planet was a publishing giant, it was just Tony, Maureen and a typewriter. And before they were ready to write that first book, they had to travel. A lot.
- How I Travel: Food, Glorious Food
- Food is an integral part of the travel experience and over the course of 33 “How I Travel” interviews, food has come up almost every single time. This week, we take a look back at some of the most fascinating pieces of food related anecdotes, advice and warnings (!) that we’ve received to date.
- How I Travel: Priscilla Levac
- Priscilla Levac is a professional snowboarder, clothing designer and raw food expert. This week the self-proclaimed “Easy-Going Princess” took time out of her schedule to talk about how travel is like a river, the joys of raw food and falling in love on the road.
- How I Travel: Andrew Shelley
- At age 27, Andrew Shelley quit his engineering job with a plan to travel the world. But Andrew’s trip would be different from other ‘round-the-world backpackers in one very significant way: he’d be undertaking the entire journey in a wheelchair.
- How I Travel: Coleman Collins
- This "How I Travel" profiles Coleman Collins, a basketball player with a serious case of wanderlust, a nose for adventure, and an insatiable thirst for life. We should all be so lucky.
- How I Travel: Johnny Jet
- This week's "How I Travel" profile is the frequent-flying Johnny Jet - who, believe it or not, was once afraid to fly. Rest assured, he got over that fear a long time ago.
- How I Travel: Ellen Hopkins
- This week's How I Travel profiles Ellen Hopkins, the New York Times best-selling author.
- How I Travel: Franz Wisner
- This "How I Travel" profiles Franz Wisner, a highly accomplished writer who got dumped at the altar and turned it into a career.