- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
Islands Travel Articles
Maybe it’s because most of us didn’t grow up surrounded by water, but there is a certain romanticism to islands, from the Caribbean to the South Pacific and everywhere in between. Read the following articles to help plan your next island getaway.
- Independent Island Hopping
- The first thing that probably comes to mind when you imagine a vacation in the Caribbean is a white sand beach with warm turquoise water and swaying palm trees. The second thing is probably an all-inclusive resort with expensive yachts and retired expats. For independent travelers, the latter is mostly a deterrent for a beach vacation on a Caribbean island. With some small considerations and thoughtful planning, you can turn what you might think to be a standard Caribbean vacation into an adventurous taste of island life.
- Cast Away on the Similan Islands in Thailand
- Ever watch the movie Cast Away and thought to yourself, "I'd endure a flaming plane crash and years of isolation just to be trapped in an island paradise"? James Pham tells you how to be cast away on your own secluded Thai island with swimming pool-like water and deserted beaches.
- Five Island Treasures of Finland’s Baltic Coast
- California-sized Finland is home to nearly 180,000 islands. These five examples along the Baltic coast, all in close reach of one another and within the National Park, are a great place to start understanding just how special this place can be.
- The Amazing Coastal Towns of Croatia
- Mattie Bamman recommends his favorite towns, pebble beaches, crashing waterfalls, and spicy foods along Croatia's coast.
- Six Islands to Visit Before They Disappear
- If you are an island lover, and Venice and the Maldives are not at the top of your travel list, you may want to move them up. Rising sea levels and increasingly severe and frequent storms mean many low-lying islands all over the world are slowly but surely being engulfed by the sea. Ariana Salvo shares six very different island destinations to visit before they disappear beneath the waves.
- The 7 Different Worlds of the Canary Islands
- Ready to climb mountain peaks, take a desert camel ride, ogle at volcanoes, and relax on black sand beaches, all on the same island vacation? Mabel Lee gives you the scoop on the seven Canary Islands, each a completely different and awe-inspiring work of Mother Nature.
- Five Enchanting Islands of the North Atlantic
- Always wanted to visit the islands of the north Atlantic, but uncertain what to expect? Join Ariana Salvo on an exploration of five Atlantic island destinations that you will find yourself returning to again and again—that’s if you ever leave!
- Nine Awesome American Islands You’ve Probably Never Heard Of
- When we think of island getaways, we often think of exotic locales far from home, white sand beaches and tropical climes. But not all islands conform to this image, and many are much closer than you think.
- Mediterranean Islands: 6 Destinations Not to Miss
- The islands of the Mediterranean have captured human imagination since the beginning of time. The following six Mediterranean islands, often overlooked by outsiders, epitomize the distinctiveness of the region’s history, culture, cuisine and natural beauty.
- Tapping into the Traditions of the Cook Islands
- Cook Islands may be a bit off the beaten tourist trail, but JoAnna Haugen notes that, for those travelers who make the time to visit, they'll not only be treated to an array of traditions but an open invitation to take part in them as well.