- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
Learning Travel Articles
What better way to learn than to travel? Indie travel is all about learning – learning about other people, other cultures, and other ways of doing things. It opens our eyes and gives us a perspective that reading a book simply can’t offer.
- Traveling with a Purpose
- Newsflash: Not everyone to takes off to travel around the world for six months, or a year, or six years, is selfish. Not everyone is just trying to get a break from their reality so that they can play instead of work. Not all travelers are out to check off just the landmarks and hit every full moon party they can in between. Jenn Miller discusses how some of us travel with purpose.
- Immerse Yourself in a Culture While Learning
- Take home more than photographs when you travel—Shelley Seale shows how learning something new around the world enhances your life and cultural experiences.
- How and Why to Learn a Foreign Language
- There is no doubt that we travelers have a deeper experience of the place we are traveling when we are fluent in the local language. Without this fluency, much of what we experience in a foreign land is mysterious or misinterpreted. Thus, unless we learn the local language, we will continue comprehending only a small margin of what we could be, and our interpretations are bound to be distorted.
- 10 Things I’ve Learned From Life And Travel
- Travel is an infamous teacher and Life a merciless school mistress. Jennifer MIller shares ten lessons gleaned from a gypsy life and asks, "What's the road teaching you?"
- MBA vs. RTW
- The world is changing by the minute, yet many western countries still have traditional (and archaic) views of education. Maybe it's time we re-assess traditional education. What are your thoughts?
- 5 Reasons Travel Should Be Part of Education
- Travel and education are two of Jenn Miller's passions. She's dedicated her life to combining the two, not just for herself and her children, but for people everywhere. She presents five reasons that she believes travel should be a part of every well rounded education. Haven't traveled yet? That's okay, because we're all still learning!
- 10 Important Life Lessons You Learn From Living Abroad
- Pulling up stakes and moving across borders can be exciting, embarrassing and unexpectedly educational. Whitney Cox writes about ten lessons learned from life in a new country.
- Lessons from Around the World: 11 Skills to Learn on Your RTW Trip
- One of the benefits of long term travel is the ability to spend several days, or even weeks, immersing yourself in a new skill. Here are some suggestions on places where you can learn to do everything from surfing to French cooking.
- Seeing Ourselves In The Context Of A Rich World
- Jennifer Miller has been a student with the world as her classroom and humanity as her teacher since she was a child. In her continuing series, following the Indie Travel Manifesto, she examines the lessons she's learning regarding her place in the context of a very rich world, indeed.
- Top 101 Books for Independent Travel
- Travelers love to read, so we talked and debated, asked our readers, and came up with the Top 101 Books for Travelers.