- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
Transformational Stories Travel Articles
One of the reasons we love indie travel is because it changes us. It opens our eyes to a larger world, it teaches us about other people and cultures, and it transforms us into the people we are now. If you are an indie traveler, you no doubt have one (or many) transformational travel experiences to share – come read about how travel has transformed these people. If long-term independent travel changed you, share your story with us.
- One Family’s Journey to Full Time Travel
- Seven years into open-ended world travel, Jenn Miller shares a secret: She never meant to travel long-term. Jenn shares the plans, hard work, and serendipities that transformed their one year journey into an epic adventure of a lifetime.
- There’s Much More to Travel Than Famous Sites
- Ever thought you want to volunteer in India or Nepal or Thailand? Ever realize that it might cost you thousands of dollars to do so? Find out how Laura Giliberti solved that problem by creating her own volunteer placement, going for a month to teach English, then ended up starting an NGO!
- Leaving Corporate Life Behind
- Many people quit their job and travel the world, but Adam Pervez quit his job and travels with the goal of leaving each place better than how he found it.
- When You Fall Down, Keep on Walking
- On a seemingly normal Sunday afternoon, I carried a garbage bag and an empty pizza box out to the dumpster, and without warning a tree limb struck me, breaking my neck. Through my multiple-month recovery, limited to a full back, torso, and neck brace, I lost my job as well as uncovered that my husband had been unfaithful. How do you like them apples? With no showers, no driving, and other medical restrictions, my only allowed physical therapy and solace was walking.
- Trading Divorce for Travel
- It is well known that a decision to travel the world can be life-altering. Jessica Thompson explains how she and her husband chose a trip around the world in the place of an impending divorce.
- “Real” Jobs Are Overrated
- How a trip to Cambodia changed one recent graduate's outlook on life and altered her future.
- Live the Life You Want to Live
- Recovering tax attorney Amber Hoffman shares how she moved from talking tax to talking travel as she continues to search for her authentic self.
- Escape the Rat Race
- Many people dream of leaving their regular routines to experience travel in far off and exotic lands. Nastaja Ferreira shares her story of realizing this dream and overcoming the hurdles of everyday life to make it happen.
- How Volunteering in Africa Changed Me
- Volunteering on a refugee camp in Africa may not be a typical travel choice, but as Josh Martin explains, it's certainly a transformational one.
- Travel Made Me Who I Am Today
- What was meant to be a short road trip with friends changed Miruna Corneanu's life forever and made her who she is today - a traveler.