- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
Learning Travel Articles
What better way to learn than to travel? Indie travel is all about learning – learning about other people, other cultures, and other ways of doing things. It opens our eyes and gives us a perspective that reading a book simply can’t offer.
- 5 Things the Camino Taught Me
- Walking the Camino de Santiago gives pilgrims the chance for reflection. Jennifer Miller shares the 5 things the Camino taught her during her journey.
- Honoring the Lessons Travel Teaches
- The things we learn about who we are, who we were, who we are becoming, and how that fits with who we thought we were when we started our journey are some of the most profound realizations a traveler comes to on the road. The difficult part, of course, is what happens when we come home
- Appreciating Home By Traveling
- Sick of that boring life at home? Can't wait to get away and see the world? Don't take that routine for granted just yet. Rich Feffer gives you 8 things you might rediscover about home the next time you travel.
- Graduation: Give the Gift of Travel
- Jenn Miller makes a case for travel as the continuation of education and issues a challenge to all the old people and the travelers in the world: give the gift of travel and change a young life!
- Higher Education For Free?
- Jenn Miller has a degree in institutional education and fifteen years of experience in outside the box experience in the alternative education world. She believes travel is a fantastic teacher, that a university degree should be pursued, and that these two dreams are not mutually exclusive. She'll show you how to get high quality education for free and combine your gap year (or two!) with your long range plans for your intellectual education!
- 30 Days of Indie Travel Art Project
- Do you have a passion for long-term travel? Do you love to create - whether it's writing, photography, videography, or art of any kind? Then our 30-day blogging challenge is for you!
- A Boots On the Ground Diploma: Lessons From Around the Globe
- Worried about taking your child out of school and the impact it might have on his or her education? Vickie Lillo offers 23 ways to discover the world and make it your global classroom.
- Traveling with a Purpose
- Newsflash: Not everyone to takes off to travel around the world for six months, or a year, or six years, is selfish. Not everyone is just trying to get a break from their reality so that they can play instead of work. Not all travelers are out to check off just the landmarks and hit every full moon party they can in between. Jenn Miller discusses how some of us travel with purpose.
- Immerse Yourself in a Culture While Learning
- Take home more than photographs when you travel—Shelley Seale shows how learning something new around the world enhances your life and cultural experiences.
- How and Why to Learn a Foreign Language
- There is no doubt that we travelers have a deeper experience of the place we are traveling when we are fluent in the local language. Without this fluency, much of what we experience in a foreign land is mysterious or misinterpreted. Thus, unless we learn the local language, we will continue comprehending only a small margin of what we could be, and our interpretations are bound to be distorted.