- RTW Travel
- Trip Planning
- Art & Culture
- Food & Drink
South America Travel Articles
Once you’ve arrived in this remarkable continent, the natural beauty and varied options will have you never wanting to leave. Come learn about Macchu Picchu, hiking in Patagonia, the friendliness of the Colombian people, the food of Buenos Aires, and more in the following pages of articles on South America.
- Peru’s Hidden Adventure Tourism Gems
- Beyond the well-trodden Inca trails to Machu Picchu, Kayla Washko recommends five little-known adventure tourism destinations throughout Peru.
- Ten Off the Beaten Path Things to Do in Chile
- With almost 3000 miles of coastline, desert terrain in the north, lakes, volcanoes, and vineyards in the center, an ultra-modern capital of Santiago, and windswept crags along its southern shores, Chile is the perfect getaway for the most discerning adventurer. Sometimes, however, the greatest thrills of exploration, according to Vickie Lillo, fellow traveler and married to a Chilean National, are completely off the grid.
- 15 Must Try Street Foods in Latin America
- There are dozens of delicious street foods in Latin America that will ramp your stomach not cramp your stomach. Here is a sumptuous selection.
- Ski, Surf, Sip, Raft and Ride: Six Places to Explore the Diversity of Chile
- Chile's reputation as an adventure travel destination is booming; Laurel Miller offers up some ideas for a year-round adrenalin-rush (as well as how to take it down a notch when the day is done).
- Portal Fernandez Concha: Living in Chile’s National Monument
- When Jody Hanson leased an apartment in Portal Fernandez Concha she had little idea that she would be mixing and mingling with some of the most interesting people in Santiago.
- Seven of the Best Eco-friendly Experiences in South America
- From tree climbing in the Amazonian jungle or galloping on horseback across Uruguayan plains, to getting spiritual at an Argentine Yoga retreat or pedaling through the Atacama Desert, South America has no shortage of experiences that are both easy on the wallet and the conscience.
- The Step-by-Step Guide to Visiting Machu Picchu
- Each year travelers from around the globe flock to Machu Picchu, Peru's "lost" Inca city, some seeking adventure, others seeking a more spiritual journey. Returned from trekking the World's Eighth Wonder, Hope Tarr shares her ten steps for getting the most out of your trip.
- Wine Tasting in South America: Where to Go and What to Try
- Most people know Argentina and Chile as South American wine destinations, but there are so many more great spots to plan a wine vacation in the region. Eileen Smith explains where to look and what to taste throughout the continent.
- Cartagena: 500 Years of History on the Colombian Coast
- Matt Milloway travels to the northern coast of Colombia, finding history and humidity in the city of Cartagena.
- Uruguay: 7 Big Ways to Experience This Small Country
- Most travelers to South America include Brazil and Argentina in their itineraries, but exclude the small country of Uruguay. Lisa Mercer offers seven reasons why this little country has big appeal.