Author: Jennifer Miller

Indie Travel Challenge Roundup: Why You Travel, What You’ve Learned & Going Local!

Today marks the end of the first week of the Indie Travel Challenge and we’re off to a great start! With tons people participating, so far, we’re getting lots of great responses shared on Twitter. Search #Doyouindie and have a look at all of them for yourself! There’s some great material here that we know you’ll want to connect with and share.

Each Friday of the ITC we’re going to share the questions for the week and some of the responses we loved. If you want to be considered for next week’s round up, be sure you’re using the hashtag: #doyouindie when you share your post on Twitter. That’s the only way we’ll know you’re in!

This week we asked:

Why Do You Travel?


recap1

Gregory Rodgers of Vagabonding Life


“I spent over seven years sitting in this cubicle, burning up my 20s, and knowing that something was very wrong but not sure how to fix it.

After some research into various escape options, I came across Rolf Pott’s book Vagabonding; it was like a slap in the face. I levitated around for weeks, planning in secret, and not sharing my new dream with anyone.”


Dani Blanchette of Going Nomadic

I travel to learn. Because I think travel is the best way to learn. It’s hands-on learning by doing. And it’s way better than anything you’ll ever do sitting in a classroom.”

Ramblings of a Redhead Wanderer

This super awesome 14 year old girl is about to take off on the adventure of a lifetime with her family. Here are a few of the reasons she wants to travel:

  • I think it will help round out my education.
  • Being exposed to different cultures is, I believe, a super important part of education.
  • The food! I’m also a developing foodie, and I can’t wait to taste new dishes. Expect some posts about food!


Halley O’Reilly of Little Talks


“the decision to travel for me came from a deep wanderlust formed when i was a kid. i longed for long airplane trips that would take me to far away places where i could be immersed in culture and learn and see new things… i continued to travel because it becomes a part of you. once you allow it to, you’re never the same again.”

How is having experiences better than possessions?


recap 2


Ashley, An American Abroad


“When you’re settled in one place for a long time, you acquire things. It finally seems like a good time to upgrade your pots and pans, or you receive artwork as a gift. It’s an investment in your home. This makes it harder to see the truth: you don’t need all of this stuff, and it can actually be harmful.”


Day 2 questions How is having experiences better than having possessions?Answer: As I watched my best friend die of…

Posted by Travel South America on Monday, November 2, 2015

Gretchen Jones, Roaming Jones


“Traveling with few worldly possessions is so liberating. I love that our kids learned to live one year with only what they could carry, and though they missed some things, it was pretty much a non-issue. “

What has travel taught you?


recap 4

Lolo Wanderlust


“When you let go of planning and ‘to-do’ lists, is when the magic happens. Whatever pushed you to walk out your front door with nothing but a backpack and a flight is nurtured by letting go of deadlines and expectations. “

Day 3 of BootsnAll #DoYouIndie challenge – What has long-term travel taught you?It has taught me to pack light. lol To appreciate the local culture. To enjoy life more.

Posted by The Adventure List on Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Nikki, Where is Noodles?


“When you spend enough time with people who are actually living on next to nothing, but still lead happy lives, you realise that as long as you’re not living on the street or going hungry, you don’t “need” all the money in the world or the best-of-the-best possessions to have a fulfilling life. “


Hometown Travel: Show us something local


recap 3

Cristina, LooknWalk


I find it hardest to write about my home town . Why? Because I am so damn used to it! For me nothing is “awesome” anymore, although for many people it may be.

Shout out to my two favorite craft coffee houses in #Denver!Copper Door Coffee Roasters (I miss you since I moved…

Posted by Travel Safer on Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Hot Foot Trini


“TO DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM,
TO FIGHT THE UNBEATABLE FOE,
TO BEAR WITH UNBEARABLE SORROW,
TO RUN WHERE THE BRAVE DARE NOT GO.”

“Little did I know at the time that the words I sang applied to Waterloo’s own folk hero, Siewdass Sadhu.”


Tell us about a time local information changed your travels


recap 5


Sean Keener


““Indie travelers value local information over received information”

I like what the full value says. It doesn’t mean “received” information is bad, it just super duper awesome to get a local view or interaction.

Think about it, do you want to travel the world, and hang out with people from your city/country? It feels safe to do so, but is it as expansive?

For me, I just love and feel loved when I put myself out there in other places and take that risk. Say Hi. Ask a question. Get out of the major tourist hubs where the local interactions are more often “built” for you.”


Join us as the Indie Travel Challenge continues: