Mark Gilbey Travel Articles
- Walking in the Tsar’s Shadow – Ukraine, Europe
Mark Gilbey walks in the shadow of the Tsar, follows Alexander II's Sunlit Path to the iconic Swallow's Nest Castle in Yalta, and discovers what mass tourism means in Ukraine.
- The Alternative Olympic Games – Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia, Asia
- This is the year the Olympic Games bandwagon controversially arrives in Beijing. While thousands of spectators are heading to China’s sprawling capital, Mark Gilbey looks at another Asian capital pla
- On the Buses: Kyiv’s Marshrutkas – Ukraine, Europe
Mark Gilbey describes an alternative method of getting from A to B in Ukraine's bustling capital, Kyiv, and a chance to see life in the raw.
- Lenin’s Playground: The Invisible Soviet State – Moldova, Europe
- Mark Gilbey and Andrew Nelson embark on a trip to the de facto independent state of Transnistria, in Moldova.
- From Tiananmen Square to Red Square – Russia, China, Mongolia
- Mark Gilbey recounts his Trans-Siberian adventure across 5,772 miles and three countries. Per mile, it remains one of the cheapest journeys in the world.