Why you should add Manila to your Indie/RTW trip
Read: Binondo Revisited: Manila.
- A crazy city with a walled colonial town, good restaurants, relentless nightlife and friendly people.
- Though Manila gets a bad rap, all the great things about the rest of the country are on display here.
- If you're a big-city person, Manila is growing larger and larger by the day.
- Like every other country in the region, the markets and street food culture is alive and well in Manila. If this is your thing, you'll be plenty entertained.
- Head to Makati, the modern center of Manila, and shop, eat, and drink til you can't shop, eat, and drink anymore. Lots of locals hang out and work here.
- There are 16 different districts in Manila, each offering something unique. Find your favorite one.
- Head to Binondo, the world's oldest Chinatown.
- Culture and history is becoming more and more important in Manila, and the museums on offer are proof of that.
is typically the city where most travelers fly into. Once here, you can use any combination of trains, buses, jeepneys, tricycles, pedicabs, taxis, and even calesas (horse-drawn carriages).
If you're looking for a cheap place to lay your head for the night, Manila
is chock full of affordable hostels to stay in.