Author: Jenn Miller

Africa Safety Tips, Mongolia, Travel Myths & Travel After a Crisis

This week we’re talking about staying safe, debunking travel myths, the worries around traveling after a crisis and beautiful Mongolia. Whether you’re headed to South Africa, getting ready to do a continent hopping RTW trip, or wondering about the safety of traveling to Paris, Brussels, Istanbul or somewhere else after a natural disaster or a terrorist attack, this week’s articles will ease your worries. And Mongolia? Well, let’s just say you should go now.

Sub-Saharan Africa Safety Tips

africa thumb
If you’re headed to southern Africa it’s likely you’re hearing from friends and family about the risks and dangers of the region. It’s important to remember that Sub-Saharan Africa is an enormous region. Resist the urge to paint it all with one brush. There are some basic precautions that you can take which will minimize the risks and increase your odds of enjoying your adventure.
“In general, it is a very safe and friendly part of the world to visit if you are aware of your surroundings and make smart decisions, and, if you get into a sticky situation, there are ways out. In no way is this an end-all, be-all guide on how to protect yourself and your belongings in any situation in any city. Safety “rules” that apply in Nairobi may be different in Cape Town, but keeping a few basic tips and techniques in mind can greatly enhance the quality of your travels in this unique and beautiful part of the world.
These tips have been compiled from personal experience and from interviews with people who have traveled to or currently live in sub-Saharan Africa.”

Why You Should Go To Mongolia Now

mongolia thumb
Mongolia has been on my short list for far too long. I have dreams of long horse rides to visit the nomadic peoples who raise reindeer, and raptor hunting on the steppes. My mind romanticizes arriving by rail on the trains from Russia and tracing the history of Ghengis Khan, Mongolia’s most famous warrior. Now I have 8 more reasons to go now:
“Mongolia is an underrated destination, often forgotten by the backpackers of Southeast Asia or those concerned with conquering the behemoth that is China. But Mongolia has much to offer any type of traveler, from exploring the expansive steppes and the Gobi Desert, to meeting the nomadic peoples of the least densely populated country on earth, and though modern development is slowly creeping in, the country remains largely off the mass-tourism trail, giving visitors plenty of opportunity to learn first-hand about the traditional Mongol way of life before it threatens to change.”

10 RTW Travel Myths Debunked

myth thumb
Think you’ve got a handful of really good reasons not to take your RTW journey? Wrong. Read on and we’ll break down the 10 biggest RTW travel myths and provide some new information that might get you on your way sooner rather than later. My favourite myth? “You Can’t Travel Longterm With Kids.” Yeah. Right.
“Excuses, excuses, excuses. When it comes to travel, particularly long term travel, everyone has an excuse for why they can’t do it. Myths abound about long-term, RTW travel, and if you’re on the fence about taking the plunge for yourself, it’s time to realize that absurdity of some of these myths.
Why is it that the people who have never traveled long term have such a skewed view of this type of travel? Why are there so many myths out there that are just flat out untrue? While it’s difficult to answer these questions, it’s not very hard to dispel the many myths about RTW travel that are out there.”

Is Travel Safe in the Wake of Disaster?

terror thumb
The news is full of fear based messaging in the wake of a disaster. We’re encouraged to stay home, batten down the hatches and keep our loved ones close. But is this the right response? Yes, it can be scary to go when there is so much “out there” that seems frightening. However, seasoned travelers know that sometimes, the best thing you can do is show up.
“We live in a time when although we’re thrilled that social media platforms allow loved ones to ‘check-in’ after devastating acts, we truly wish it wasn’t necessary. Remember when the most difficult travel discussions revolved around what bag to take, where it was okay to drink the water and which streets to avoid in the middle of a major city? These are different times.”