Author: Sean Keener

Are You Ready for a Career Break?

This is a guest post by Michaela Potter from Meet, Plan, Go! As the ultimate resource for independent travelers, we at BootsnAll, love that Meet, Plan, Go! is encouraging career breaks by offering planning resources and events to get more of you out there traveling.


If you have ever visited the BootsnAll travel forums, you know that discussions are separated out by category, such as destination and travel resources. The one that stands out for me, however, is the Corporate Wasteland and Business Travel. Here people have the opportunity to discuss traveling for business, but most people actually discuss escaping the cube for a life of travel.
Why am I so interested in this thread? Because as co-founder of Briefcase to Backpack and Meet, Plan, Go!, I want to help people like these to actually fulfill their long-term travel dreams. The biggest obstacle for most is the reaction of others – because society is not as accepting of unconventional ideas such as career breaks.
When my co-founder, Sherry Ott, was plotting her escape back in 2006, she found very limited resources on the Internet that discussed the mental hurdles one must face when planning a career break. In fact, she turned to BootsnAll for most of her travel planning. So when she and I both happened to return from our respective career breaks at the end of 2007, we decided to do something about it. We felt that this was an opportunity to create a community of like-minded travelers who supported their ideas and dreams.
Having written about our experiences and showcasing those of others for the past two years, as well as hosting a Nationwide event in 13 cities this past September, we are excited to announce the launch of our next phase – Career Break Boot Camp.

Career Break Boot Camp – who it’s for:

For those seeking a career break or sabbatical, it’s not just about the trip planning – it’s about the life planning. Boot Camp is an online course and social learning platform where people with the dreams of taking a career break or sabbatical to do extended travel can come together in a community learning environment. It was designed by us and certified travel coach Tara Russell and provides inspiration, structure, community, resources, tools and motivation.

“Your insights and experiences are invaluable and I cannot thank you enough for sharing them via the Boot Camp. Your passion is contagious and your encouragement is much appreciated, especially when the travel break mentality is not always mainstream in my daily world!” – Kelsey Hertig, Beta Boot Camp Member

We have packed in a lot of information, resources, and interviews in the eight weeks, but the best feature in our opinion is the community aspect.

“It is nice to have this community to share our hopes, plans, and fears (as they relate to travel) with. I have been very careful as to who I share my future travel plans with, and this Boot Camp makes me feel a lot less isolated. Everyone here “gets it,” and also takes my plans to travel seriously, which is something I fear those close to me will not do. As we move a long, I am feeling more and more motivated to make this thing happen!” – Lauren K., Beta Boot Camp Member

Sign-Up for Boot Camp!

Registration for our Inaugural Course starts tomorrow, Wednesday, December 8, 2010 and class begins on January 9, 2011. Because we believe so much in the community aspect, spaces are limited. As an added incentive, the first 20 people who register will receive a $100 gift certificate towards and of the Unconventional Guides by Chris Guillebeau and every person who registers will receive a free copy of his book, The Art of Non-Conformity.

Are you ready for a career break?

Photo: jonrawlinson