Part of the fun of independent travel is challenging yourself. That could mean traveling to a destination that is notoriously difficult to travel in (hello India and Egypt), pushing yourself physically or mentally, or hopping on a 20+ hour bus in Africa. Challenging yourself during your travels forces you into uncomfortable situations, helping you grow both as a traveler and a person, which is a big part of the reason why we promote independent travel.
Yesterday’s #RTWChat discussed this very topic, and there’s lots of great tips and advice from all who participated. Check out the recap below and browse through the following articles to read more about challenging travel destinations:
- 12 Tips for Surviving Public Transportation in a Developing Country: A Story from Uganda
- How to Travel Long Distance by Bus
- The How To Guide to Traveling China by Train
- Hitchhiking Tips for Central Asia
- Indie Travel in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan for $50 Per Day