Author: Sean Keener

What's Your Expat City?

There comes a time while traveling, that spending a week or two here and there just doesn’t cut it anymore. You want to connect with the locals and the culture, but being so temporary doesn’t always allow for that. And then comes the idea to move to the city you’ve just fallen in love with and become an expat. Until you want to move on… or live forever in the city you love.
Becoming an expat in a new country is the best way to get to know the country from a local’s perspective. Choosing a country and city to move to is all about your own personal likes and dislikes. Maybe you’ve studied French in high school and want to sample how it feels to live in Paris for a while. Or maybe Italian has always been your love and Milan might just do the trick. Or maybe you had no plans of staying, but something about the city just felt like home. Have you ever been an expat? Where and what made you choose that city? If not, what city would you want to be an expat in?
After my latest two week trip to Southern Europe, I’m considering living in Athens for a while. I don’t speak much Greek (I probably know about 25 words) but when I traveled I didn’t have any problem using English. So I’m currently studying Greek, but worst-case scenario, it’s a relief to know people who have been living in Greece for years and still don’t speak the language.
» This week on BootsnAll: Articles you’ll read this week include: the confessions of a lifetime traveler, a piece on how to travel in Malaysia for $10 a day , an informative take on how RTW preparation can enhance your resume and an exciting piece about fuel-free adventure activities, such as paragliding, ziplining and bungee jumping.

Week 28 of the Indie Travel Challenge is all about expat life.

Have you been an expat? What made you decide to stay? If not, what city would you choose for being an expat and why?
Don’t forget to add your blog posts to the main Indie Travel Challenge page – and be sure to include a picture when you do (we love pictures!).
The Indie Travel Challenge is a year-long blogging project. Every Monday, we’ll post a new prompt, question, or challenge that bloggers can respond to via text, photos, or video. Respond on your own blog, and link back to BootsnAll so we can find and highlight the best submissions.
Check out the Indie Travel Challenge landing page for all information related to the event. You can see the week’s daily prompt, follow the hashtag on Twitter, share your posts, and check out submissions from around the world.
Read more about expat life:

Photo by Visit Greece