Author: Sean Keener

How Has Food Connected You To a Destination During Your Travels?

Food is an important part of our travels and helps us understand the culture of the place we visit. Sure, it’s “just” a way to fill our hungry bellies, but when you stop at a street cart and taste what’s on offer, you also get to know the people who eat it regularly.
I remember the smile of the old man who sold pretzels in Athens, on a rainy Sunday. I thanked him in Greek. Then I realized I just tasted the best pretzels. Ever. It didn’t matter it was pouring rain an we were cold and tired . We paid just 80 euro-cents for our meal on the go and it was amazing.
Food has a way to connect us to the places we visit. You may remember only a hint of smell which takes you back exactly to that hidden alley where you tasted something special. Even if the result was sometimes a belly ache. How has food connected you to a destination during your travels? Tell us your story. What was the weirdest food you tried? What was the tastiest you tried?
» This week on BootsnAll: Articles you’ll read this week include a detailed guide about Pho, the Vietnamese noodle soup , information about adding dangerous destinations to your RTW trip and best live like a local experiences.

Week 23 of the Indie Travel Challenge is all about food and how it has connected you to a destination during your travels.

What is your favorite food and what does it remind you of? Do you associate a smell with a certain place?How has food connected you to a destination during your travels?

Don’t forget to add your blog posts to the main Indie Travel Challenge page – and be sure to include a picture when you do (we love pictures!).
The Indie Travel Challenge is a year-long blogging project. Every Monday, we’ll post a new prompt, question, or challenge that bloggers can respond to via text, photos, or video. Respond on your own blog, and link back to BootsnAll so we can find and highlight the best submissions.
Check out the Indie Travel Challenge landing page for all information related to the event. You can see the week’s daily prompt, follow the hashtag on Twitter, share your posts, and check out submissions from around the world.
Read about food in different parts of the world:
>>15 Must Try Street Foods in Latin America
>>Eat Your Way Through Italy: 4 Stops on an Italian Foodie Tour
>>11 Great American Sandwiches Worth the Trip
Photo by noodlepie