Author: Sean Keener

How to Pack for 2 Drastically Different Trips, 11 Volcanoes in the Americas You Can Climb, Are You Safer Abroad?, and 15 Things You Won't Miss About Long-term Travel

Happy Friday! This week on BootsnAll we’re featuring content with tips on packing for back-to-back, drastically different trips without checking a bag from Michelle M. Winner, a handy list of climbable volcanoes in the Americas from blogger Eileen Smith, Reflections (and a reality check) on alcohol, violence, and police culture in three countries from Maurice D. Valentine that beg the question: “Are we safer abroad than at home?” and finally Jo Fitzsimons’ hilarious list of the things pretty much no one misses about long-term travel with a few tips on how to manage them if you’re still on the road.

How to Pack (Carry-on Only) for 2 Drastically Different Trips

Packing for two drastically different destinations carry-on only can be done, but it it’s hard to swing. Michelle M. Winner shares her best tips for packing smart and light and never checking a bag again.
“Use your carry-on allowance (small roller bag and a shoulder bag as a personal item) to its full capacity. Besides saving the killer fees per leg, there is no chance of lost luggage, theft, missing connections, and luggage-handling delays slowing you down. Don’t waste your time and money checking bags.”

11 Volcanoes in the Americas That You Can Actually Climb

Have you ever wanted to see a volcano up close? You have more options than you probably realized. Eileen Smith shares a list of 11 climbable volcanoes  in the Americas (North, Central, South and the Caribbean) alone.
“Since 1987, the southern slopes of Mt. St. Helens have been open to climbers who wish to climb close to (but not into) the crater. Monitor Ridge is a popular trail that starts at Climber’s Bivouac, and takes between 7 and 12 hours to climb. Climbers can gain views of the crater, blast area and other nearby volcanic peaks, but those wishing to climb above 4,800 feet (the rim is at 8,365) need a permit.”

Reality Check: Are You Safer Abroad?

Could you be safer abroad than at home? Long-time expat and experienced world traveler Maurice D. Valentine reflects on drinking, violence, and police culture across three countries: Japan, Australia and the U.S. and comes to some surprising conclusions. Is it possible westerners actually safer abroad than at home?
“But I just couldn’t get over the fact that this place was jam-packed, full of over 100 inebriated teens and nothing was happening. Some were passed out on the pavement. They were left alone. Some played what seemed like hopscotch in the dark, while others tried to breakdance to music coming from a boom box. Still others were all loud and noisy, pushing each other, laughing and carrying on. Pedestrians weren’t afraid to walk past any of them. Nobody was hanging out of windows telling them all to shut up. The thing that REALLY got me? There was no police presence.”

15 Things You Won’t Miss About Long-Term Travel After You’re Home

Returning home after a big trip can be tough. Jo Fitzsimons reminds us of the things we won’t miss about travel (saying goodbye to new friends, checking for bed bugs) and offers her best tips on handling  the unavoidable downsides of life on the road while you’re away.
“For many people, the lavatory situation is one of the biggest downsides of traveling as you say goodbye to sweet smelling bathrooms, moisturizing soap, fluffy hand towels, and locking doors in favor of an all out ban on flushing paper down the pan and smells that are guaranteed to burn a memory in your mind forever.”
Like this? Sign up for the Daily Dose and get more BootsnAll in your inbox.
Photo credits: ImYanisJPL Designs, Baworn47, Asia Images