Author: Sean Keener

Rolf Potts Offers Travel Writing Course in Paris This Summer

Vagabonding author and successful travel writer, Rolf Potts is returning for his ninth summer teaching a course on travel writing at the Paris Writing Workshop. Rolf and other fiction and nonfiction writers will offer courses on fiction, poetry, screenplays, memoir and more.
According to the site, the class taught by Rolf  “delves into the essence of nonfiction storytelling. Since the Paris setting is ripe for place-based narrative, travel writing will be a central aspect of this workshop — but students will also be encouraged to explore the art memoir, as well as the ins and outs of literary journalism. Though this class primarily aims to sharpen and evolve writers’ instincts for constructing narratives, it will also touch on the practical matters of working with agents and editors, and submitting stories for publication. Potts will give one-on-one guidance for each student’s work, and final portfolios will include one polished nonfiction story to be submitted for publication.”
The month-long course costs $3,600, not including housing (though arranged housing is available for an extra fee), airfare and expenses in Paris. It’s not cheap, but this an opportunity to learn from a writer called “Jack Kerouac for the Internet Age” by USA Today. Rolf’s work has appeared in Salon.com, Slate.com, National Geographic Traveler, the Travel Channel, and anthologies, like the Best American Travel Writing series and the Best Creative Nonfiction series.
All classes are taught in English, and applications are due May 31.
Photo by retro traveler