Author: Sean Keener

This Week on BootsnAll: Art and Architecture Around the World

The dictionary defines art as “The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture.” But in practice, defining it isn’t so easy. Who decides if a supposed work of art demonstrates any skill or creativity?
Is something only designated as art if it’s deemed good enough to go in a museum or gallery, or is it only art if it’s worth something or considered valuable? If a three-year old could do it, is it still art? And is art really necessary in our world or, as Oscar Wilde wrote, is it true that “all art is quite useless” ?
While our theme this week on BootsnAll is art and architecture, we’re not going to attempt to answer any of these questions. That’s up to you. Instead, we’ll show you what we think is some of the coolest, most interesting , unique or beautiful art around the world. We’ll take a look at some art in unexpected places – in art hotels and in some beautiful subway stops, and we’ll discover some quirky small museums around the US.
We’ll also continue the 30 Days of Indie Travel Project; it’s not too late to join in! And if you’re planning a round the world trip, stop by on Wednesday as we consider some of the downsides to long-term travel.
But first, take a few lessons in art appreciation: 

Photo by sterte